Decoy Forum Sponsors

Antique Wood Decoy Merganser Drake Hoping To Identify The Maker - Any Guesses??

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by KnutzKoll, Jul 30, 2020.

1. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Definitely a northern bird as no self respecting southern carver would have made a stinking fish duck!

dog duck gun and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  2. KnutzKoll

KnutzKoll New Member

WoW! Thanks for all the Feedback Guys! I actually found it in an Antiques / Secondhand Shop in Bellingham, Washington State. That might help determine the Maker?? The Shop buys out Estates all the Time and does get great stuff! This one came with a small collection of Decoys most common and Paper mache. This one was the oldest and best one but there is a few real primitive ones I past on because they were SO Crude and lousy Painted. Hope there isn't any Value in those. You are right about the Head being recently broken and glued back. I knew it was cracked but din't bother to follow the crack to see if it went all the way around which it does. It is glued back very well. I'm a 40 year Antiques Dealer also and know authentic aging on things very well and wound guarantee it is not a re-paint. The painted eyes are original they are just very thickly applied and did not wear off but do have good wear on them. The Leather Pull is original and very Mummified with age and very hard just in great shape. Does the Crack on one side hurt the Value much?? Any Guess as to the Maker?? Thank You so far for such Knowledgeable Response to my Questions! Sincerely, Gary K

3. KnutzKoll

KnutzKoll New Member

More Pictures .....

Attached Files:

4. KnutzKoll

KnutzKoll New Member

Also ... How old do you think this Decoy is???

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

You should get on the Washington forum on this site and ask about local carvers. There are some knowledgeable guys there. Some are involved with decoy shows and collecting. My guess is it is a local carver From the Pudget Sound area. I've seen a few decoys from that area with flat bottoms. Because of tides and mudflats I carved about a dozen flat bottoms, mallards, wigeon and teal.

6. KnutzKoll

KnutzKoll New Member

Thanks Billy Bob! Will try it out ... Gary K

7. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Are there Red Breasted Mergansers on the west coast ? I still think he’s from Maine or the New England era.

8. Billy Bob

Yes there are. They are common on the salt water.

9. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Live and learn, Billy Bob.

Billy Bob likes this.
  10. Billy Bob

Anybody not living here would never know. Washington is a very diverse area to hunt. A guy can hunt Canadas and snows in the desert one day and be hunting scoters on the coast near the rain forest an 8-10 hour drive away the following day . I've even seen king eiders in Pudget sound and emperors on the coast. If you ever get a chance you should hunt here.

dog duck gun and WHUP ! Hen like this.