Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Any A/C guys on here (repair techs)?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Jun 30, 2020.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If so, I have a (drawn out) question...

Your A/C quits. You’re not an A/C repairman. You call your home warranty place, who sends someone out later that week. Only your wife is there. Guy shows up, she tells him the breaker is tripping, he verifies the breaker trips and is off, goes out to the unit with nothing but a screw gun, pops the outer panel off, unhooks the compressor power wires, flips the breaker back on, breaker doesn’t trip. Closes up the panel and says “Compressor is shot, need a new one. Your options are to wait a week or so on the part, pay the $650 for the Freon, to get this one back up, orrrrr.... I can have you a brand new unit out here tomorrow, I’ll work you up a quote tonight.”. Drives off and tells her to call him when she figures out what she wants to do. Texts a quote for a new unit that night.

My question. Is this the standard method you use to tell someone their compressor is shot, or do you normally investigate further? Ohm it out? Measure resistance? Open up the rest of the unit?

2. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

Same thing happened to me. You can test your compressor with a multimeter. Unhook the funny plug and there are going to be 3 round prongs. I'm not sure what you do next. A new exchanger installed was about $4000.

3. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

So the compressor is running after breaker is reset?

4. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Might want to get a second opinion. Sounds very similar to a problem that I had a few years ago. First guy says, "compressor is shot, going to cost you $1,000." Second guy take a look and says, "bad capacitor, if you want me to fix it, it's going to be $85 for the part and labor." I said, "How long to get the part?" He says, "as long at it takes me to walk from here to my truck." That was about 4 years ago.

nobands, tcc and newduk like this.
  5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I usually just beat on **** with a hammer until it starts working again

Quarne and tcc like this.
  6. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

Take a look at your capacitor. If it is swollen and appears like it’s going to burst on the end with the wire terminals, then that is your problem and that’s an easy, cheap repair.

Sunklands and Vammy like this.
  7. stevena198301

I’m not asking what is wrong with it. I fixed it myself already, with a rewire and a new cap. Corroded connections burnt the wiring up. Melted wiring caused the breaker pop. I’m asking... If you went to someone’s house, to do a diagnostic on my symptoms, would you not part ways from it being ANYTHING other than the compressor? Would you put a multimeter to the compressor and measure resistance (I know this isn’t a foolproof test)? Would you even open the panel that leads to where a bunch of scorched wires are coming from, to maybe see where it is going, before being 100% certain it’s the compressor?

8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

dude he was trying to up-sell you. It happens, a lot

tcc and Vahunter like this.
  9. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

If the home warranty folks are the ones who scheduled it, he knows that the home warranty will cover it (or at least most of it), so he figures he has a blank check...

If it were me, I'd call the home warranty folks and let them know so they could cross his number off of their AC repairman list.

tcc, newduk and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  10. stevena198301

Your bottom statement is why I’m asking. I ain’t no Karen, but I’ll also not be ran over by a company who defends a tech who admits that’s how he troubleshot it as a bad compressor. I called the company, and asked to speak to the owner (it’s a small biz). Guy says he’s it, and he’s already spoken to the tech, so he knows what’s going on. I had just gotten off the phone with the tech, unbeknownst to me, the number I was left was his cell, not the company phone. I’m mad. He can tell it. I explain my frustration, or try to. He goes into defense mode, immediately, and tells me to stop talking and let him finish, or he’ll just hang up on me (by the time the conversation ends, he’s told me 3-4 times he’ll just hang up on me). I reiterate to him, yes, I’m mad. I am. I have that right, after hearing his tech admit to his botched job. Well, the tech is a good guy, he’s my son, is my answer. I’ve got 25 years experience, and he learned from me. Ok, so sir, would you have troubleshot my system this way? He dodged the question, and answers with, “I always carry my tool bag out to the unit”. Not what I asked sir, would you troubleshoot my system, by doing what I described above? This time he just gets mad and starts defending again. All I’m trying to do is let him know his tech not only sucks, but gets mad and defensive when you ask him how he came to his diagnostic conclusion. I don’t care it’s his son. You’ve gotta put that aside, if you’re going to do business with family.

Anywho, I found a bunch of other reviews for them, and all are excellent, except the ones where they do warranty subcontract work. Those are pitiful. And almost exclusively the same issues we’ve experienced. This warranty covers hardly anything on A/C units (known its for years). I’ve got zero objection to dropping my own coin on a new unit if needed. Mines old. But what the hell?

We’re contacting the warranty folks first (somehow, the ticket got closed as “resolved” a few minutes ago). Then, likely the BBB and Consumer Reports.

newduk likes this.