Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Any A/C guys on here (repair techs)?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Jun 30, 2020.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I think you’re getting more worked up than you need to be. I’d just say “**** that dude” and move on. People are crappy and try to screw people; it happens all the time.

hobbydog and tcc like this.
  2. glock

glock New Member

There are Lots of people taking advantage of the system. You have to ask yourself if it’s worth the hassle and does the company really care? Sadly most don’t care.

3. Vammy

Vammy Elite Refuge Member

Word of mouth goes a long way too. Post it up on FB and see what happens

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Probably so. Still reporting them.

waterrat, goosenazi and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  5. Valleyhonker

Valleyhonker Senior Refuge Member

Home warranty schemes are the problem. When we bought the current house we are in, our realtor purchased a 2 year warranty with AHS as a gift. I wouldn’t purchase one myself after research into it and all the fine print. It seems they often subcontract to contractors who are looking for work, which if they were worthy they probably wouldn’t home warranty business, at least in my neck of the woods.

6. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

I had a home warranty issue with my garage door. It would open about a foot, then stop. Warranty company sends a guy out, he never checks anything, just says I need a new circuit board. Gets one off the truck, door does same thing. Installs another new board, same thing. Then he says my motor is going bad. I ask cost of new motor, he says $365. I'm like nope, and send him on his way. After he leaves, I get on my ladder and see that the bearing is shot, causing the sprocket to bind in the chain under load. I call the warranty folks again, tell em to send another guy, and I tell them which part he needs to bring. New guy comes out, installs the new bearing for $12, labor $40. Some warranty repair folks may just be out for a quick buck.

7. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

I’m going to reply here and express my opinion but remember it’s my opinion only but after 30 years of owning an Hvac co I do know a little about this topic. #1 home warranties are a rip off because if they bought every policy holder a new unit that needed one they would not stay in business #2 the contractors who work with home warranty companies are the very bottom of the barrel and have very low skill techs because it they good techs get away from home warranty contractors as fast as they can unless they like to make the extra spiff money they get from ripping unsuspecting homeowners off #3 home warranty companies pay a very low service rate to the contractors they use and are well know to be very slow to pay. Bottom line on anyone needing help with an hvac system is use your own network of contacts and find out who is happy with the company they use. In closing most good hvac men look at the big companies who advertise like lawyers and drs who advertise, someone is paying for the advertising and it’s the homeowner or business owner. Glad you got your unit working

nobands, newduk, tcc and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

Just like cops....you don't need them...until you need them. And then you need them right now. My son-in-law is an one man HVAC business. Installs everything from home units to commercial units. But, his phone rings constantly with people needing his services right now for repairs.

9. longtooth

longtooth Senior Refuge Member

My family has owned and air conditioning business since 1957, That is not how you diagnose a compressor. There can be a whole host of reasons as to why it's not working,
    If you would like to PM me with your phone numberI'll be more than happy to talk you through it. In sence I'm no where close to you I was strongly suggest that you get a second opinion

10. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Definitely an in demand field.

I bailed from the south before summer truly kicked in, but I can't imagine not having AC some of those days of spring I was there.