Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Any Exclusive 2 & 3/4 Shooters On Here?

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Green Duck Truck, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Hevi-steel

Hevi-steel Senior Refuge Member

Rarely, those 6 Extra pellets make the difference!

Wareagle1 and Meats like this.
  2. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

I’m the first to say that I was very skeptical of the 1 1/16 loads until I bought a case for my son when he went to the 12ga 5 years ago. For whatever reason his gun, patternmaster duck, and that 1 1/16 #3s @ 1550fps were as good as anyone could hope for on paper (tried to find the pics of his 30 and 40 yard patterns but can’t find them). They hammer ducks and he averages in that 3 pellet range in the birds he drops.

Ok so I admitted I was wrong and it is a good duck load but then Being ME I was was extra skeptical when I bough a case of 1 1/16 #1s for him before I got him up to Canada a few years back. Didn’t put those on paper before he shot them for the first time (bad dad) but figured it would give him a load over field decoys that he could shoot big and little geese back winging. Well.... after punching out his lane he was note booking the snows and specks with his 3rd shots as they were catching the wind and bailing hard (Easily 40-50 yard shots) I was convinced those work pretty good too :) .

I was introduced to a load of 1 1/4 #2’s (1450fps) about 20 years ago now that i shoot for everything waterfowl. I buy a couple cases every time they come up for sale because they just work for me.

That said..... if they ever stop making the load I shoot I’ll gladly go to those 1 1/16th loads. Soft shooting (For Sure!) and super reasonable price point.

Cheers,

Adam

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Green Duck Truck likes this.
  3. Capt. Cormorant

Capt. Cormorant Elite Refuge Member

I'll shoot your birds for you. Just so you don't have to worry about recoil...

Now Mr. Green Jeans will be knocking on my door for a joking comment this season. :doh

4. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

My son is moving to a 12gauge this year and I have been wondering about all this myself.
    He tried every gun in the safe and decided he liked a mossberg 500 waterfowl edition gun I won at a DU banquet years ago.....lol.
    Glad he didn't like my Extrema II or the wife's Browning.
    This is a lightweight gun I have used as a saltwater gun and it does kick fairly well.
    Can anyone e recommend a shell for the kid to try.
    Hes a big 12yr old, about 5'7 and a 150#.
    He can handle a thump if it puts birds on his strap.

BD1 and Green Duck Truck like this.
  5. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

I've killed hundreds of divers...Scaup, GE's, Cans, RH's, Ringers as well as many Mergs and a few puddle ducks with those 1 1/8 of 3 or 4 at 1400fps. Guns used was several different 870's and several different SXS's. Try that load to see how it shoots for him. Generally my targets were no more than 30 yards and I/C, Mod or IM were the chokes...depending on the gun.

Meats and Green Duck Truck like this.
  6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

For my kids, I loaded up 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads that were easy on the shoulder, yet still brought the birds down well. I used the 7/8 oz loads at a higher velocity for years. Killed just fine.

mrbill and Meats like this.
  7. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

2 3/4 1 oz or 1 1/8th oz loads are not big kickers like I said in an earlier post, there are 125 pellets in 1 oz of steel 2's, thats enough to hit a few birds

BD1 likes this.
  8. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

I'd liken the load I shot to a handicap trap load.

Meats likes this.
  9. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

Can you add a bit of weight to the gun? I started off shooting a Mossberg 500 in the early 80s . It was reliable but boy did it kick!! Watch him for a flinch and if he needs to move to a different shotgun that is OK. I have a feeling he will let you know.

Dr Swane and Meats like this.
  10. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member

The 2 3/4"-- 1 1/4 oz #5 Boss shells are deadly... 1350fps and shoot like the old lead loads. More than enough for ducks, geese, divers, etc.

Dr Swane, BD1 and Green Duck Truck like this.