Any fly fishermen on here?

huntersdad

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Looking for some "names".

Headed up to around Bryson City October 10-15. Was gonna VRBO something and then came across an outfitter up there that did a 2 day/1 night camping and fishing trip. Thought that might be a fun trip since I only get up there 1-2 times per year. Certainly would be a way to get off the beaten path and back in the woods.

Anyone know any other outfitters than might do something similar? Ideally, I'd like to make it a couple nights, so looking for some other options.

IrvingForbes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Looking for some "names".

Headed up to around Bryson City October 10-15. Was gonna VRBO something and then came across an outfitter up there that did a 2 day/1 night camping and fishing trip. Thought that might be a fun trip since I only get up there 1-2 times per year. Certainly would be a way to get off the beaten path and back in the woods.

Anyone know any other outfitters than might do something similar? Ideally, I'd like to make it a couple nights, so looking for some other options.
My granddaughter attends App. State in Boone. She took a fly-fishing course during summer school. She's got the bug. Goes every chance she gets.

ducknwork

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with Bryson City, but know a few places around Boone where I caught trout a couple weeks ago. Plus some really great shops that offer guiding.
1659549030193.jpeg

mister gadwall

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Is the outfitter trip across Fontana to a Smokies creek? That might be nice trip but water in Smokies streams is usually quite low that time of year unless hurricane has filled it up. The Smokies have some great small fish streams. and occasional very nice 15-18 inch fish. And maybe some much bigger but very rare. The further you get from roads or trails the more fish you will catch. FWIW

The Cherokee reservation in Cherokee has several options for fee fishing. Some bigger stocked fish in those streams. Some much bigger . If you are adept at fly fishing and want to catch bigger fish that is worth doing. Fees are minimal. far less than a guide. Typical set up is a 14-18 bead head nymph and small indicator.

capefearflyfox

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Saltwater mostly, but haven't had a chance to fish in quite a while due to wife's brain tumor treatment and recovery.