Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Any recommendations for kitchen counter meat grinders?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Bear, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Electric powered for personal use running small patch operation maybe three times or less a month.

Thanks,

Bexar

2. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

I had a kitchenaid attachment for my mixer that worked alright, but heated up after 5 minutes of grinding so that you couldn't use it. For small batches, just use a good 'ol hand crank pot metal grinder Bear. I have a 3/4 horse LEM electric that chews through atleast two elk, two deer, and 5-6 antelope per year, and its on the 5th year of use with nothing done except the grinder blades sharpened. For the small batches the hand grinder is simply the best without dealing with the electric junk that are the small grinders...they simply don't have enough torque, will overheat fast, and are a waste of money IMO. Good Luck!

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Information.:tu

The reason I was thinking about an electric driven one was for a free hand and consistent pressure and feed for making occasional batches of sausage. Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks,

Bexar

4. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

I have a Sam Baere ( I think the spelling is correct) model that I gave about $200 for on eBay. It has ground 200 pounds of deer and trimmings for sausage at one session and has never kicked out unless I ran a piece of bone or major ligament thru it. It takes on silverskin with no problems. I've been real happy with it. A buddy has it borrowed right now or I would get the model info off of it for you.

5. Extex

Extex Elite Refuge Member

Kitchenaid mixer with attachment works or a food processor with the chopper attachment will work for small batches - keep the meat cold and pulse the processor :tu

6. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

Bear, with any grinder you usually grind twice for sausage. Some guys grind twice, then take the plate out and put the stuffer tube on and fill the casings that way, and some guys mix it after the 2nd grind, and run it through a third grind into the tube, and some guys use a stand alone stuffer. With the hand grinder, the auger will pretty much take care of feeding itself as long as you keep the hopper full will small cut pieces or long strips. It only takes my kitchenaid about 5 pounds to get so hot you can't hardly touch it. I broke two cabela's $99 electrics and finally said the hEll with it. Even if I only had small batches of sausage to do, I honestly would probably go big from the getgo and get the LEM all over again. It's not that cumbersome to work with, and I've got the foot pedal on mine which leaves both of my hands free to feed the machine, it will never get too warm, and it plain runs.

7. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

8. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

I have one of the smaller LEMs and am happy with it. The higher-powered units are nice but I got it as a gift and it's adequate for a few deer etc. I wouldn't personally consider either an attachment grinder or hand grinder.

9. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I bought a little 200 watt Weston from Eldon's (eldonssausage.com). We've ground and stuffed about 300# of duck and deer in the last 5 years, with no problems. I would recommend a unit like this only if your batches will be very small ...say 10# or less. We do batches of 25# and it is painfully slow when it comes to stuffing. When I get the money I'm going to upgrade to a 1hp grinder. You can get the small grinders for a little more than $100 and I think you would be happy with it. They do a lot of work for that price. Check out Eldon's for all things sausage and jerky. They are also very helpful and willing to answer any questions over the phone.

10. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

Ask duckNbutter --- :dv

He'll know for certain !!!! :l