Anybody ever lived in Anchorage, Alaska?

Bear

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine has been offered a job up there.

He’s thinking about it.

Mid thirties and enjoys fishing.

Republican if that matters.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
After spending about 8 weeks up there, Alaska is where I want to live out the rest of my life. Two of those weeks were around Anchorage and the Kenai peninsula. Beautiful area and very friendly people.

Rudder

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I did 35 years ago. Only place I've ever seen that had lots of moose in town and salmon in the little creeks throughout town. The saying was the best thing about Anchorage was that it was only 30 minutes from Alaska. Easy to get remote quick. Dang those winters were long and cold though!

full choke

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have worked around Alaska for thirty plus years. Anchorage is my least favorite place to be. Might even be one of my least favorite cities, period.

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I did three winters in Fairbanks. Had a great time. I would NOT do a winter there as a single man. It sure would be nice to be single there in the summer with 22 hours of daylight to fish.

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Arrived in '72 left in '80 due to health issues
Was an apprentice pipefitter in Spring of '75, the day I landed in Valdez to work on Pipeline I was the 19th fitter in Valdez, so I saw it all come right up out of the ground.
I had my own aircraft (Piper Cub PA 12) in Anchorage and later Kenai, so I saw A LOT of South Central Ak. Camped under the wing of the Cub every weekend weather permitted in late Spring, Summer, Fall (but not Winters)
Dined on Moose almost every year, and Dall sheep when I could get them. Dall sheep cannot be compared to any other meat. A good one will make you want to throw rocks at beef.
Caught hundreds and hundreds of Salmon, Grayling, and knew local fisherman for Crab and Halibut.
Wish I'd been into gold dredging then, but didn't get the bug until after I left
But back then the biggest drawback was lack of women, and the attitudes of those that were there. All seemed to have the "Princes Problem"......... Tough deal.
Overall it's great for a young man if you import your own woman.

calling4life

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'd love to move to Alaska, my wish would be the Johnson hanging off the South East, Juneau and south.

But I can't drive across Canada because I'm not vaccinated nor will I be, not for the coronavirus anyways.

Can only imagine the cost to have someone drive my stuff there...

If I knew a way though... I've been looking

The rape stats for Alaska are bad, last I read they were the worst in the country by far, and every county in Alaska was bad not "just one area," if he's bringing his ole lady or a daughter, better teach them how to be proficient with a firearm and make sure they are carrying it at all times where legal.

I may end up in Western Montana or Idaho as a compromise, we'll see how crazy I want to get, don't know anyone in Alaska personally though.

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Way back when, I was in Navy boot camp with a couple of recruits from there who survived the 9.2 Anchorage area earthquake a month or so before. For them it seemed like an experience they didn't want to do again. Other friends moved to the Fairbanks area a few years ago, bought land and built a home. They are there forever.