Anybody ever lived in Anchorage, Alaska?

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Have not lived in Anchorage but have visited. Away from town, the country is beautiful. My takeaways, I was very impressed by the 30' high and city block large mound of snow that was still there the last week of May from the plowing of the city streets. The hotel we were staying in was built on huge "shock absorbers" to compensate for the seismic activity (there was a 5.2 earthquake while we were there and on the 16th floor). Animal activity is unpredictable...a kid walking to school had his head kicked in by a moose and in nearby Eagle River, a person was killed and partically eaten by a grizzly. By winter's end, locals are craving color and saw where some were actively cultivating dandelions in flower pots.

Missy Skeeter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anchorage is a big city, similar in layout to Salt Lake city with salt water to the west, mountains to the east and
suburban sprawl for miles in each direction to the north and south. Folks from Fairbanks refer to it as
LosAnchorage. Pros: International Airport in town, amenities of big city, downhill skiing at Aleyska
Cons: Crowded, all the drawbacks of a big city, icy winters in town.

Alaska's entire population is 735,000 and Anchorage/Mat Su Valley is over half that.

hobbydog

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned the dark winters. Cold you can hide from but the lack of sunlight in the winter can get to some people. If you have an issue with alcohol, Alaska winters might do you in.

Missy Skeeter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned the dark winters. Cold you can hide from but the lack of sunlight in the winter can get to some people. If you have an issue with alcohol, Alaska winters might do you in.
Short days, not dark winters. With sun and snow the days can be quite bright. The shortest day in Anchorage is 5 and a half hours on winter solstice.

Il. MudDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was stationed a few (5 ?) Hrs from there when in my mid 20's, and traveled there periodically.
It was definitely a "city", but within moments you can definitely be in some beautiful country.
I'd tell him to go. He can always come back.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was stationed a few (5 ?) Hrs from there when in my mid 20's, and traveled there periodically.
It was definitely a "city", but within moments you can definitely be in some beautiful country.
I'd tell him to go. He can always come back.
Be honest, you loved it because there were no snakes. LOL

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could do my life over I would have moved to AK 45 years or ago. Being single I didn't have anything to hold me back except being a chickench!t to leave! We interveiwed a guy for a job that came back & he told us at the time if you knew how to operate heavy equipment you could make tons of money-that was 1976. BUT ch!t was expensive, too (like milk & eggs! :eek:)!

Missy Skeeter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Be honest, you loved it because there were no snakes. LOL
No snakes, no gaters, no ticks or fleas, no lymes disease, no heartworm,
no poison ivy, no briars, no fire ants, no chiggers
no state income tax, no state sales tax,
no vehicle inspection requirements, conceal or open carry whatever you want
free hunting/fishing/trapping license at age 60, free moose/caribou/sheep/bear/deer tags
permanent fund dividend check for every member of the family
first 150k of property waived from property tax at age 65
possession limit on ducks is 30

Must love short days of winter, a long winter (Oct-April) and snow.
Scout_Snowpack_17April2022.jpg DeckGlacier.jpg MorningDogWalk.jpg

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
No snakes, no gaters, no ticks or fleas, no lymes disease, no heartworm,
no poison ivy, no briars, no fire ants, no chiggers
no state income tax, no state sales tax,
no vehicle inspection requirements, conceal or open carry whatever you want
free hunting/fishing/trapping license at age 60, free moose/caribou/sheep/bear/deer tags
permanent fund dividend check for every member of the family
first 150k of property waived from property tax at age 65
possession limit on ducks is 30

Must love short days of winter, a long winter (Oct-April) and snow.
View attachment 347220 View attachment 347221 View attachment 347224
How many days, on average, will nose hair freeze when you walk outside?