Anybody ever lived in Anchorage, Alaska?

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
No snakes, no gaters, no ticks or fleas, no lymes disease, no heartworm,
no poison ivy, no briars, no fire ants, no chiggers
no state income tax, no state sales tax,
no vehicle inspection requirements, conceal or open carry whatever you want
free hunting/fishing/trapping license at age 60, free moose/caribou/sheep/bear/deer tags
permanent fund dividend check for every member of the family
first 150k of property waived from property tax at age 65
possession limit on ducks is 30

Must love short days of winter, a long winter (Oct-April) and snow.
View attachment 347220 View attachment 347221 View attachment 347224
Brotha, I’m ready. Just gotta have the wife warm up to it. And she’s coming around.

Missy Skeeter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How many days, on average, will nose hair freeze when you walk outside?
I typically feel colder when I visit my brother in Virginia in the winter with a humid, windy day on
Cheasapeake Bay in the 30s. Interior Alaska has little wind and low humidity and that makes a big difference.
Tough on equipment though...vehicles with engine block heater, battery heater, oil pan heater.
With climate warming our cold snaps are now fairly short...a couple days in the -30s,
when back in the day it was weeks in the -40s to -60s.

For most people living here, its not the cold, its the length of winter (Oct - April)
and the low sun angle and short days of December.
Mushing, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, trapping...those that enjoy it here have a passion for a winter hobby.

Many will fly to Hawaii (a five hour flight) or visit family down in the lower-48 in December.
This photo was from 11am on the shortest day of the year.
window_trim (2).jpg

GulfCoast

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
I have not lived there. I went there once. It was cold and dark. That's all I got.

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
@Missy Skeeter When I was in college I worked guiding Duck/Goose hunting on the Chesapeake Bay.

Many of the hunters that had hunted Alaska & Canada told me they were colder in Maryland than anywhere they had ever hunted

I'd love to hunt/fish there but I don't think I could handle the winter's

Il. MudDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I typically feel colder when I visit my brother in Virginia in the winter with a humid, windy day on
Cheasapeake Bay in the 30s. Interior Alaska has little wind and low humidity and that makes a big difference.
Tough on equipment though...vehicles with engine block heater, battery heater, oil pan heater.
With climate warming our cold snaps are now fairly short...a couple days in the -30s,
when back in the day it was weeks in the -40s to -60s.

For most people living here, its not the cold, its the length of winter (Oct - April)
and the low sun angle and short days of December.
Mushing, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, trapping...those that enjoy it here have a passion for a winter hobby.

Many will fly to Hawaii (a five hour flight) or visit family down in the lower-48 in December.
This photo was from 11am on the shortest day of the year.
View attachment 347310
Shortly after I arrived in the little town of Tok (US Coast Guard LORAN station), I remember overhearing a conversation between two people.
One of em asked the other if he was "going outside " next winter. The answer was "no".
I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that this person was NOT going to step foot outside for months on end....until I learnt that "going outside " meant out-of-state to warmer climates during the winter.

I remember the cold in Tok but also remember the lack of humidity and wind during the cold. I couldn't imagine -60 air temp with a howling wind.

letmwurk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
@Missy Skeeter When I was in college I worked guiding Duck/Goose hunting on the Chesapeake Bay.

Many of the hunters that had hunted Alaska & Canada told me they were colder in Maryland than anywhere they had ever hunted

I'd love to hunt/fish there but I don't think I could handle the winter's
Humidity amplifies the temperature - both cold and hot. Just ask those guys in the south today. I saw where Tennessee is supposed to hit 100 degrees with the dewpoint at 78 - that's miserable. One of the times I was the coldest was as a kid sitting in a steel duck blind in the Sac valley at 35 degrees and pea soup fog.

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine -60 air temp with a howling wind.
We saw a -57 during a field exercise. We just hunkered down for a few days. Wasn’t bad until the wind blew so hard we couldn’t (safely) leave the Yukon stove going in the tent.

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think it was -56* but just out of Fairbanks a guy told me you could 'hear' the Northern Lights at extreme temps if there was no noise at all. I called BS and he drove me out of town and made me walk 50 yards so we couldn't hear engine noise of running truck, and sure enough you could hear it when it was present.
Like static electricity only not quite the same and very, very faint.
Years later a friend who spent a year in Antarctica base camp told me heard the same thing there.

Close Shot

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have to ask. Is -50 really that much colder than -30? I would think you can only be so cold and not sure that there is any difference once you get a certain temp. Whatever that temp is.

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have to ask. Is -50 really that much colder than -30? I would think you can only be so cold and not sure that there is any difference once you get a certain temp. Whatever that temp is.
Not really. Once it’s “too cold to snow” the temps don’t matter that much anymore. Any exposed skin is vulnerable to frost bite, it’s just how fast does it happen.