Anybody Hunted in FAR Eastern Colorado?

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by Losthwy, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

I got some time around the holidays for some traveling and hunting. Time to put some miles between the Front Range and me. And wondered if anybody has any recommendations on duck hunting in the far eastern part of the state, PAST Tamerac SWA. Like Sedgwick, Julesburg, and Pony Express SWA's, or maybe the Bonny Reservoir area? Bonney seems to be a promising area after reading McKinney's description of it in the SWA Guide. Dunno.???? I haven't been to any of these places and don't know what to expect. Tis the season for hunting. So I'll leave you with a seasonal song.

"Jingle bells shotgun shells blasting all the way.
    oh what fun to grab your gun on openning day
    tip-toeing through the snow with an arrow and bow
    let your arrow fly soon the deer will die. Hey!
    Jingle bells....;)

2. HuntAllDay

HuntAllDay Senior Refuge Member

I know that Bonny froze up this week. I had some buddies that were going to go out there today and they put a call into the DOW guy out there on wednesday and he said that it froze up.

Other than that I dont know anything else to tell ya besides Good luck hunting.

3. Goose Pimp

Goose Pimp Senior Refuge Member

If you get much further east than the Tamarac you will not have any water to hunt in you could **** more flow than the river has in the sedwick area all the lakes out here are pulling water so it is in limited supply out that way, If I had to suggest anyplace that I have seen alot of birds the Brush area has the most by far might try Elliot.

4. EMan

EMan Senior Refuge Member

Very very few ducks out that way. Maybe we'll get a late late push, but there are a ton of Geese. We hunt near Illiff just past Sterling and its loaded.

We have been getting flights from North Sterling, The Project, and then later from Jumbo.

5. Losthwy

Regretably, I'm not set up for goose hunting, only have duck decoys and calls.

6. Sean Seery

Sean Seery Refuge Member

I spent most of last season hunting out around Julesburg... There are a lot of geese but for some unknown reason, there is no goose hunting south of US138, which consists of private land and all of the Pony Express SWA. As a result, the birds mostly feed there and hunting geese can be very frustrating in and around Julesburg

7. Losthwy

Thanks "Goose Pimp" Elliott is on my lst to call for reservations for Dec. 24 . Which will be my first stop. Camping at Prewitt. Never been to Elliott, but looking forward to hunting it.

8. Waterfowl Widowmaker

Waterfowl Widowmaker New Member

Hunted out East today, and didn't see very much. Managed to scrape down a couple of green heads, but i probably only saw a total of 25 ducks, and that is counting some high-flyers.

The ground still has 2-3 inches of snow on it, and I think that may have moved most of the ducks out...they gotta go where they can get to the groceries ya know.

Let me know how Elliot is, I was a little further East, at Tamarack. I wanted to try Elliot, but was too discouraged by the lack of ducks to camp and hunt in the morning. Good Luck!

9. I'm about 30 minutes from Bonny and it's been pretty much froze. Lots of Ducks and Geese just hard to get decoys out for the ducks. Inlet is starting to trickle, so maybe it will start running and thaw out the West end at least.

10. Shoot'em UP

Shoot'em UP Senior Refuge Member

Lostwy,
    Hunted Tamarack today. Covered up in birds. Just got better as day went on. I've never seen so many ducks. I'd be sure to go ASAP, not sure how long the ducks will hold. But...Man it was fun. Could have shot our limit 5 times over. After we limited we just hung out watching the ducks decoy. Great time!