Anybody Hunted in FAR Eastern Colorado?

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by Losthwy, Dec 12, 2003.

1. WoodieWacker

WoodieWacker Senior Refuge Member

What unit were you hunting. How much water is out there

2. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

Shoot
    You timed it well with a front moving in today wish I would of been there. My fingers are cross for LOTS of BAD weather next week.:cool:

3. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

Shoot'em Up
    Curious to what the weather was that day at Tamarac. Snowing, windy, or both?

4. Goose Pimp

Goose Pimp Senior Refuge Member

Windy, overcast and cold probably 40mph wind at times.

5. HuntAllDay

HuntAllDay Senior Refuge Member

NothingLikeADog,

So theres still a bunch of birds holding on Bonny?

6. Shoot'em UP

Shoot'em UP Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, it was windy as all get out most of the morning, but we got on the south side of an island that kept most of the wind off of us. It began to flurry about 8am, and the ducks really started coming. After the snow stopped they still kept coming. We were hunting on 15. While we were leaving we noticed that the ducks (yes ducks) were stacked up on the corn field to the south. I'd never seen ducks in a corn field, but they were by the hundreds.

7. Waterfowl Widowmaker

Waterfowl Widowmaker New Member

AAAHHH!!! Well that's just my damn luck. I hunted 15 on Sunday and had planned on spending the night Sunday to hunt the same spot in the nasty weather on Monday. I saw only a handful of ducks Sunday on 15, so i decided, screw this I'm going home to watch football.

That's what i get for not stickin it out. I had a feeling the ducks would be thick in that kind of weather, but was too ****ed off by the lack of birds on Sunday....I am really kicking myself in tha @ss right now........CHIT!!!!!!!!

Oh well, atleast somebody got to give 'em hell. Maybe i'll get a chance next time.

8. fattire75

fattire75 Senior Refuge Member

I am going to have to call my farmer buddy, I have a corn field that borders tamarack.

9. Wade C

Wade C Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I live north of bonny bout 7 miles, and its mostly frozen, but holding a ton of birds. id guess 3-4000 geese and 6-8000 ducks, maybe more... but the open holes are all in the middle, and the birds know exactly where the no shoot line is on the refuge side too. The ducks all pool up and climb high and head west to feed at night about 4:15 and come in about 20 min before shooting time. They come in high and spiral down to the water avoiding the huntable spots of course. The geese are slower getting out, they leave around 8 and head north over the refuge or east over the dam, and of course, the private land and no hunting area... by they time they get past that, they are way high and "going somewhere" Its amazing, they just hang at the lake and dontuse the river hardly at all... must need to freeze up bonny totally and then I bet they hit the river more...

Anyway, hope that helps. I watched em all yesterday morning, last night, this morning and this evening with the binocs.

Now if I could only hunt where they are going, and be there ahead of time ;-)

Wade

10. HuntAllDay

HuntAllDay Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the report Wade!!