Anybody own a pitbull or ever have dealt with an aggressive pitbull?

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Our opinion only seems to differ in the fact that I will kill a pit on my property just because it's a pit. I said in an earlier post that all others will be killed upon showing agression. As stated, I've never killed dog that wasn't pit or pit mix, doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

The post I made saying I would probably never kill a non trash breed was TROLLING. I thought that was obvious.
You might want to work on your sarcasm.

I suppose that’s exactly where our opinion differs. I’d feel pretty terrible killing someone’s pet just because it wandered onto my property and I thought it looked like a pit bull. I’d sure hate explaining to them when they came looking for it that I shot it for the crime of existing. And I wouldn’t at all be surprised if/when they took revenge on me or my animals for it. Good way to make yourself an enemy.

Yeah, it’s your responsibility as an animal owner to keep them under control and on your property… I live out in the country; I understand that completely. I also understand that things happen. Fences break. Gates get left open by visitors, service people, delivery people, etc. Would I want a neighbor shooting one of my animals for such a thing if it weren’t being aggressive? Obviously not, and I don’t think they’d want me to shoot theirs either under the same circumstances. It certainly wouldn’t do much for neighborly relations. No, I’d rather try and corral the dog and get ahold of the owner if it has a tag or take it to the pound if it doesn’t. If it can’t be corralled I’d shoo it away. That’s just my approach… people whose dogs get loose always seem appreciative when I’ve helped them get back. I’ve never been attacked, you have, so I understand why your approach is different. But I’m also glad to live far, far away from you.

num70

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
When my daughter was 18, she had an internship at a fairly progressive company. Her boss brought her pit bull to work daily. It was a friendly dog and my daughter engaged it as she would have our labs for at least half of the summer.............then one day as Haley walked past the dog, it just attacked her. It actually broke her hand, and she had to get 7 stitches. She also had bruising and puncture woulds on her leg, and face. ( & It could have been way worse).
Not to be an overly litigious d-head, but I hope your daughter owns this company now.
There's just no excuse for that.
Whoever's letting her boss bring a "pibble" to work is a moron.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am amazed at all the dog killers here. You going to kill and mans chesapeake that attacked and bit you in a duck blind? You go to killing a man's dog you are opening yourself up to a whole bunch of next level issues.
If, in a duck blind, a man's dog growls at me, he's getting the crap beaten out of him. If the dog bites me, he's getting the crap beaten out of him, and the owner is headed home with instructions to never bring him back. In a work scenario, we had a few seasonal employees at a duck camp who got to call himself a guide all season in order to stay at camp all season to keep things in good order. I was in a boat with a new guy the third day of the season, and his dog was sitting on the seat next to him as he was driving the boat. One of our customers reached out to pet the dog, and the boy laughed and said a customer who did that opening day was bitten. I told him to turn the boat around and take the dog to the truck. He balked and I said the option was I would blow the dogs brains out if he bit anyone in my presence.
What about a male lab that attacked a another lab dog at duck camp and almost kills it? What about another mans nuisance lab that tears up, chews up boots, shoes, and waders off the drying rack?? Kill them? All that has happened over the years at camp.
If I saw the attack, it would depend on what it took to stop it. Dogs getting in a fight are a bit different from a dog biting a human. If it appeared to be a pattern, the aggressor would not be allowed back. As to tearing up the property of others, the owner should reimburse everyone and make sure it doesn't happen again.

To no one in particular, I grew up on a farm which was close enough to town to be a regular dumping spot for litters of puppies and kittens. They are animals, and unless they are one I've personally bonded with, they mean no more to me than a coyote.

FriedPotatoes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Our opinion only seems to differ in the fact that I will kill a pit on my property just because it's a pit. I said in an earlier post that all others will be killed upon showing agression. As stated, I've never killed dog that wasn't pit or pit mix, doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

The post I made saying I would probably never kill a non trash breed was TROLLING. I thought that was obvious.

I’ve never agreed with you more than I have on this thread (well, except for when you talk about using magnum decoys). Every single dog that has charged me or my golden has been a pit mix of some sort, and every owner has been more than slow to intervene. I have a hard time not making certain assumptions as soon as someone tells me they own one.

fowlwhacker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
mean aggressive dog won't last long around these parts much less anyone's animal wondering whether it is aggressive or not. I fear anytime one of my dogs wondered off whether they would be shot. neighbors shot the other neighbors guinea hen for coming on their property. another neighbor up the road had a couple of ankle biters that ran wild and would run out and attempt to nip anyone walking up the road or chase any vehicle. could of the neighbors got tired of it and would send one vehicle up first and have a trailing vehicle try to run them over. this was after several nice discussions between the neighbors about controlling their pets prior to actions being swiftly taken. certain breeds of dogs are known for being aggressive and known for causing extreme damage. with that said, if one of my neighbors had a breed such as a pit and was getting out and getting aggressive with me or my family including my dogs, I would contact them immediately and advise them of the dog roaming and getting aggressive. if the problem persisted I would take care of the dog with hot lead.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
if one of my neighbors had a breed such as a pit and was getting out and getting aggressive with me or my family including my dogs, I would contact them immediately and advise them of the dog roaming and getting aggressive. if the problem persisted I would take care of the dog with hot lead.
A warning call only points fingers at you when you when that dog comes up missing.

People with pits arent going to arent going to suddenly keep their dog home, they won't do a thing other than blow smoke or act tough. Kill the agressive dog and say you havent seen it.

Just based on my experiences with people owning pits.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A warning call only points fingers at you when you when that dog comes up missing.

People with pits arent going to arent going to suddenly keep their dog home, they won't do a thing other than blow smoke or act tough. Kill the agressive dog and say you havent seen it.

Just based on my experiences with people owning pits.
Wow, man. Kill someone's dog without even giving them a chance to correct the problem because it'll come back to you... the guy who killed it. Then not even be man enough to own up to it if or when asked. Why wouldn't you own it if you're in the right?

Many people who adopted a shelter dog from the past 10 years have a "pit mix" because the breed got popular, for some reason, and a bunch of jackwagons let their intact dogs run around with predictable results--these are the people you describe. There are probably people you know who have a "pit mix" and they don't know it and you don't know it. You accurately describe some dog owners, but you're painting others with a pretty broad brush.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wow, man. Kill someone's dog without even giving them a chance to correct the problem because it'll come back to you... the guy who killed it. Then not even be man enough to own up to it if or when asked. Why wouldn't you own it if you're in the right?

Many people who adopted a shelter dog from the past 10 years have a "pit mix" because the breed got popular, for some reason, and a bunch of jackwagons let their intact dogs run around with predictable results--these are the people you describe. There are probably people you know who have a "pit mix" and they don't know it and you don't know it. You accurately describe some dog owners, but you're painting others with a pretty broad brush.
Experience has taught me almost all pit owners are alike. I made the mistake of giving the call once. If the dog just comes up missing there is no drama. I've only had drama about 1 of the 3 pits I have killed. Guess which one?

A person learns from their mistakes. I learned from my mistakes with the type of people that own pits.

It may be different in other locations but in western WA pit owners are low life's, drug dealers and meth head thieves.

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My daughter moved back home one summer , which was a mistake for several reasons.

Anyway...

I came home from work to be greeted by my Drahthaar, her lab mix, and a Huge Blue Pit.

He was happy to be with the other 2 dogs and was very friendly.

I called her to ask why this big male Pit was in my home, she told me that she and her friends took it from a Guy in Ocean City that was a Diamond Smuggler and wasn't taking care of the dog.

I told her it had to go, but she had already gone back to Ocean City to work.

He was well behaved and very affectionate.

I had a dog door at the time so when I put the dogs out they were free to come back in when they were done.

When I got out of the shower all three dogs were in bed. I got my corner of the bed and went to sleep.

When I got home from work the next day he was gone.

She told me they gave the dog back after giving him H### about whatever infractions of dog ownership he had violated.

Latest posts