Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Anybody take any of those memory enhancers like Prevagen or Focus Factor?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Bear, Apr 8, 2021.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

For years I took 40 milligrams of XR Adderall every day. Made a huge difference in being able to focus among all the distractions in an office environment. Once I began working from home I just quit refilling the prescription. There was zero desire to keep taking it, and it never made me feel any sort of rush/high. Evidently there's something to the idea it doesn't impact those of us with ADD like it does normal people. Been about ten years now, and the only time I even think of it is when someone brings it up, yet I have a very addictive personality. Weird.

Forgot to mention, my blood pressure went up after I quit taking it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Rebranger likes this.
  2. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Get your "T" checked.
    Memory issues were the only sympton I had when mine was low.

Rebranger and Bear like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Mine are very low but this holistic doctor I have won’t prescribe T-supplementation. I am currently looking to replace my current doctor.

My previous doctor, who was excellent, passed away.

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that's it.
    I've always had an excellent memory. (Not bragging about it as I did nothing to make it that way). All of a sudden I was forgetting names of people I'd met 2 days prior. I didn't seem to be making enough short term memory. I bullied my doc into running T-levels with my blood test (she was resistant) and sure enough, they were low.
    She had assumed that because I wasn't having any E.D. that my T had to be fine. This is patently false. Once I got my T straightened out my memory came right back with it.
    Good luck with it.

Rebranger and Bear like this.
  5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My memory is selective.
    I can recall.things I did as a child I can actually remember my mom and dad making my toys come to life and I also remember the extreme disappointment I had when my mind figured out that my duck wasn't actually quacking and flapping its wings. No effing way!
    Lol
    I loved my duck.
    One day it fell apart in the wash. It still hurts

salthunter likes this.
  6. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

The more I forget the better I am. :l :yes

Pheasantpete, Rebranger, Bear and 2 others like this.
  7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

My father in law was a DDS.
    My wife didnt know for 20 years why she was taking little pills and a Snickers bar on 2 and three day hunts with her dad. :eek:o_O

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Its not cool when you call your wife by the wrong name:eek:
    At least in my house

Bear and OneShotBandit like this.
  9. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

I've been reading this book, not quite done but it is quite interesting. We know an awful lot about the brain, fixing it, not so much. It talks about a lot of different things that make a healthy brain....or unhealthy one. Exercise is huge, diet, hydration and having good social networks. There is also a strong correlation to those who retire early and dementia. You lose social networks and don't develop new routines to include learning new things and developing new social networks. Type 2 diabetes is strongly correlated to dementia. Sleep apnea is also covered as sleep is really important to healthy brain function. They cover how short term, long term and working memory function. The end of the book gives lots of tips on how to improve brain function. Doing puzzles and stuff does not have strong scientific evidence. There is some evidence that certain types of video games developed specifically for brain health do some good however this research is still in early development. It will be awhile before docs can prescribe a video game. There are no magic bullets when it comes to brain health but there are a lot of things you can do to make it better that do not involve taking a pill. My hardest goal to achieve is to significantly reduce my sugar intake.

There are a bunch of different books on this subject but all stress the same things.

Keep Sharp: How to Build a Better Brain at Any Age

Interesting Brain Facts

10. missed mallards

missed mallards Senior Refuge Member

It makes a huge difference in life. I started it this past fall and in 2 weeks my whole mind/body felt the affects. The convenience factor sucks (shot every 2 weeks) but it’s been a great thing. It’s my “crack”.

And I’ll add. Confidence in your md will go along way. Sat down this morning with mine and for some odd reason a few words were said and I began to wonder *** I’ve gotten myself into. Like I’m scheduled for a pretty serious test in the a.m. and I’m freaking out. I’ve had 4 months of “test” and am getting no where. Actually am worse off now after starting than I was prior too. Dude just blindsided me out of no where. I’m hoping it’s nothing (actually praying) but when we get the results back I’m going to be casually looking for another person with the initials md in front of their name. So I say if he won’t give u a shot and get u back in “normal” figures find one that will. That’s a simple “fix”, what’s going to stop him when it’s a serious one?

good luck. No I don’t take the memory pills

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021