Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Anybody take any of those memory enhancers like Prevagen or Focus Factor?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Bear, Apr 8, 2021.

1. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member

That's why you call them Honey, etc.

2. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

That's the truth and I learned the downside of too much the hard way. I started taking ephedrine/caffeine/aspirin in the mid/late 90's to help burn fat preparing for a bodybuilding contest while I was in grad school. Loved the energy and focus it gave me both training and studying. Fast forward a year or so and I'm working 80-90 hours a week at a stressful job, training twice a day most days, and studying for the CFA exam while taking 75mgs of ephedrine with caffeine 3x's a day. I did that every day for over three years straight while only getting about four hours of sleep a night habitually (thanks to the ephedrine).

The mental and physical stress from that culminated in what I, and my doctor, initially thought was a case of mononucleosis. But the symptoms persisted and worsened over months to the point where I physically could not stand up or walk. My blood pressure was 50/30 and all labs came back normal. I went to an oncologist who said I was the healthiest person he had ever seen in his practice and all scans and test showed no issues. Neurologist said the same thing. My dad was an MD and taught occasionally at UC Davis medical school so I saw the head of just about every department there plus others at UCSF and Georgetown. One of the guys at UCSF diagnosed me with chronic fatigue syndrome.

It took me well over a year to recover to the point where I could take care of myself without any help. I'm still messed up to this day as I can't physically over-do things or make myself sore because I'll be trashed the next few days (by trashed I mean feeling like you have the flu - tired, fatigued, brain fog, low muscle tone, etc) due to the inflammation. If I just take a sip of coffee or tea it will put me in that state and I used to drink multiple cups a day. My theory is the ephedrine permanently impaired my adrenal glands due to the constant stimulation of adrenergic receptors. So that is a long-winded way of saying don't abuse stimulants.

3. JBM SteelSlinger

JBM SteelSlinger Senior Refuge Member

The only thing I know about these memory enhancement meds is the fine print .The FDA has not evaluated any of these statements. With that being said look at placebos and how a sugar pill has convinced people it cured what ailments they have

4. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

I may have taken it in the past, but I can't remember :l

I bought some Focus Factor at Walmart, because they were out of any other once a day vitamin. It seemed to be a decent stop gap until they got vitamins restocked. I got the extra strength, and the dosage on it is 4 pills a day from a bottle of 60 :dohSo, a 15 day supply for $25! Seems like a scam to me.

5. Florida Cracker

Florida Cracker Refuge Member

6. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

Not FDA approved or studied????

7. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I concur with @num70. Monday I’m going to apply to change doctors to one I believe practices more traditional medicine. Unfortunately it takes three months to get a first time patient appointment with him.

So I have to play the odds a little bit and perhaps schedule an appointment with him while still maintaining my insurance coverage with the other one.

Now...once I go back on T-therapy I’ll become a hairy scary toothed fireplug humper. That crap makes you feel like a rabid King Kong after a couple of weeks.

8. Pheasantpete

Pheasantpete Senior Refuge Member

Hey I was going to post that. Nevermind I'll forget tomorrow

widgeon likes this.
  9. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I think a little CV exercise goes a long way to keeping your brain healthy too.

Vahunter and widgeon like this.
  10. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

That last result is not typical.
    Met a guy on here years ago. Took Adderall for the first time one night about dinner time and proceeded to give himself a 6-hour manicure.......