Anybody us the 79cc Predator on their longtail?

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by cride1, Nov 4, 2019.

1. cride1

cride1 Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys - new to the layout boat world this year. Been hunting for year, just never had a layout boat/sneak boat. I picked up a Beavertail Final Attached a few weeks ago. It came with a 79cc Predator motor with no longtail kit. I purchased the mud-skipper kit and took it for it's maiden voyage yesterday. I have a lot to learn, but one thing I was having issues with was the motor would really bog down if I tried to drop it down deeper than just under the surface of the water. The kit came with a 6.5" and 6.25 diameter props and I installed the 6.5". Not sure if this would have an impact on the performance or not. It just kind of felt like the engine was undersized. I would guesstimate that the fully loaded boat (boat, motor, decoys, bling and myself) is probably in the neighborhood of 400 to 450lbs. Was looking to possibly pick up the 212cc motor instead as the longtail kit I purchased will work on both. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I have a 79cc on a swamp runner mini. I'm using it to push a hybrid that is probably 300lbs total including the boat, me and gear, plus the weight of the motor.

Without a tach you're always going to be guessing. 6.5 prop sounds pretty big for that motor though, I think I run a 5.25 or 5.5 inch prop. Any way you shake it 79cc is really small for your boat and load. I would get a bigger motor.

3. Colin Shepherd

Colin Shepherd New Member

Cride1 - the 79cc Predator motor is a 3 HP motor, I would suggest going with a minimum of the 6.5. For an extra 25 lbs of equipment it is 100% worth it for the extra power.

4. cride1

cride1 Senior Refuge Member

I jumped up to the 212cc motor but have not had a chance to get it in the water since the upgrade.

5. Brian joehl

Brian joehl New Member

need to look up how to take off the governor on these motors (it is really easy to by pass them). I use a 212 CC with after market carb and exhaust with no governor and push a 14 foot flat bottom about 18 mph with only me in it.

6. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

If you're running at an RPM above what the governor limits your motor to, you probably need a bigger prop.

7. Brian joehl

Brian joehl New Member

we take the governor's off on all the engines that we go kart raced with in a clone class and we way over rev them. they are stronger than you think
    by taking of the governor you do not bog down as easily

8. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

Why did mud-skipper give you the wrong props for that size motor/kit? It's bogging because they are too big.
    The 6.5hp on that boat is scary fast. Make sure to lean back as you'll submarine it fairly easy. If you haven't made a mounting plate for the back of it yet then you should probably do that. The 212cc and 79cc are much different than one another.