Anyone hunt turkeys in snow, like REAL snow?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Apr 17, 2020.

1. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

Got a picture somewhere when the son was 9. Me, my son and my dad with our 3 toms we killed in the snow years ago. Listening to dad bitch about it was really getting old . But the birds were hot . Season was over at 8.

2. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Yep. Snow sucks ***!

3. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

Late in the evening I was on my way to my buddies cabin in a rural area the night before the hunt and it had snowed about 8 inches and the roads were drifted in bad. I passed a van on a remote road that was stuck. After I passed I noticed a light in the van. I backed up and there was a lady in the van that was getting ready to sleep in the van because she didn’t have cell reception. She was close to running out of gas and didn’t have proper clothing to spend the night in a cold vehicle. I gave her a ride home and she was extremely appreciative. She offered me money which I of course declined. The following afternoon I cashed in my positive karma points. If you look close you can see my wad. Hit the turkey square in the dome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Quarne likes this.
  4. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

We had that inch+ snow on Wed. The birds were not moving much. Yesterday was nice and they were really moving. This morning, at 0400, I looked out, estimated the snow as about 7". I went back to bed. In my younger days, when I was still mad at wildlife, I would have been out there. I ain't that mad any more.

Birdcrazy and nobands like this.
  5. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

Put on your whites and hunt. I never saw the snow slow the birds down. They were out strutting in snow covered fields this morning. Just keep bloody heads away from whites.

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I thought snow made it easier to sneak up (wearing snow camo) to the roost tree in the dark and blast them off the limbs?

TheDuckSlayer and spaightlabs like this.
  7. Jay L

Jay L Senior Refuge Member

I hunted in Wyoming last spring. It snowed every morning. The birds didn’t act any different. We used a blind off the roost to help stay dry and warmer. They gobbled on the roost and watching two big longbeards run in in full strut in a heavy enough snow that I couldn’t see more than 50 or 60 yards was awesome.

8. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

Never have until this morning

0D8F980A-3F26-45AD-AF0D-A44D0AFB86BB.jpeg

Out of focus likes this.
  9. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

10. homer

homer New Member

It would be a blast if you were on private land with a reaper and snow camo. Sneak right up to them.