Anyone Near Great Falls?

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by volsquackhead, Nov 11, 2019.

1. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Senior Refuge Member

Hello,

The USAF just recently assigned me to Malmstrom AFB. If anyone is willing please shoot me a DM, I have a few questions about the area and hunting in the state.

(I am not trying to internet scout :sp)

Thanks

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I am not in Great Falls but traveled there often for business for 18 years before retiring in 2017. Do some internet research on Freezeout lake and hunting the Missouri River upstream of GF. If you are also an upland (pheasant) hunter you are in the right place. http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/blockman/

With the handle volsquackhead I'd have thought you were from Tennessee (UT Vols).

Thank you for your service. Enjoy your stay in the West. It will be a cool experience for you.

volsquackhead likes this.
  3. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Senior Refuge Member

Thank you for your reply. I have got some pretty good information from that website, as well as actually speaking with both the federal and state game wardens. I was really hoping to run across someone with some "boots on the ground" experience...there is not a lot of waterfowl hunters in the area.

I am originally from TN but grew up in the northeast part of AL, however, my family is from TN and I was raised to be a BIG TIME Vols fan.

I appreciate it. I am very much looking forward to my time out here.

4. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

You are in the right part of the state for water fowling, and bird hunting in general. Check out the MT FWP website —look at block management areas and open fields for game birds for some places to go. The Missouri can have decent hunting. I’m in the western part of the state, which is mountainous and beautiful but not the best duck hunting I’ve ever seen.

Welcome to Montana and thank you for serving our country!!

volsquackhead likes this.