Anyone shoot TSS #10?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Aug 13, 2019.

1. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

Ordered a few pounds of it today, plan on duplexing it with steel. Anyone here used TSS #10 before?

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

4F60E566-36D9-4496-996B-08746B711027.jpeg No 10’s but I do load 8’s, 7’s & 5’s. If you’re considering it for turkey hunting check with the state regs as some don’t allow pellets smaller than #7’s.

This is a pattern shot with the Federal HW15. The gun had a Hi Viz sight on it when the pattern was fired. Apparently made it shoot low as POA was the black dot. Sight has since been removed to remedy the problem. Gave sight back to gun’s previous owner.

Looks like a waterfowl pattern good to well beyond 40 yards.

3. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

I shot #9.5TSS for turkeys in my 28 gauge for four years, and this last year in my 12ga. Here are my experiences with it on birds much bigger than a duck. I believe Hal has used the #10TSS on ducks several times. The #9.5 TSS kills turkeys GREAT! I am shooting a 1.5oz load in my 28ga that is only 1000FPS, but is pure death on turkeys. To give you an example on how hard this stuff hits I was patterning these loads with my cardboard set up against a mild steel 1/4" thick I beam holding up a pole barn. These #9.5TSS put substantial dents(with no distortion of the TSS pellets I found) in the mild steel at 40 yards.......at 1000fps!!! Im not talking about paint marks or shiny spots, but DENTS that were easily felt and seen. This shot is very HARD and breaks bones and penetrates flesh like you would not believe! I have had a few stray pellets penetrate the breast meat of a turkey. This includes some breaking through the breast bone and make it into the internal body cavity at 40ish yards.....and one even broke a wing bone up near the body at the same distance. In my old gun which was a beretta A400 this load will average 220 pellets in a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards with the factory flush full choke. This shot will kill turkeys at ranges beyond what anyone should be shooting. I know the first year I used TSS I watched a turkey gobble and strut for 45 min at what I thought was to far. After the turkey left I stood where he was at and my buddy ranged him as 41 yards. So the next day I guess I had in my head that the turkeys were not as far as I thought, and killed a gobbler at a distance I would never have attempted if I knew the actual distance. If a #9.5TSS will kill a turkey dead at extended ranges I have full faith that a #10TSS will kill ducks great! I loaded some duck loads spiked with TSS, but have never shot them yet. Keep in mind this IS NOT A PRESSURE TESTED LOAD, but I have talked to a few guys that load a lot of TSS and they agree that this is the standard way to load a duplex of TSS/steel. I loaded some 28 gauge loads with 1/4oz #9.5TSS and 3/8oz of steel #4 for a total of 5/8oz shot load. This load will have 72 pellets of #4 steel and 100 pellets of #9.5TSS in it. I just used a published steel shot load from BPI and replaced 1/4oz of steel with 1/4oz TSS and added 410 fiber cushion wads in the bottom of the wad to get it to crimp correctly. SO the wad contains 410 fiber cushion wads(3@1/4" I think)TSS and then steel on top.

4. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

A buddy uses it all the time in his 28 gauge, and another buddy's daughter shoots it for turkeys.

5. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Guess I will be too, just bought some also. I'm thinking for my 410 and maybe 28ga, ducks. Although I really like hw13 load in my 28ga, fits perfect.for me 1oz. Kinda heavy but I love the dang fit lol

6. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

I wish there was a load that is about 1/2oz. In #9.5TSS there are 400 pellets per ounce so 1/2oz would be 200 pellets. That is MORE than enough and more than that would be a waste of shot I feel. I think these duplex #4steel/#9.5TSS i loaded will be killer loads. They have less than a $1 in TSS per shell so the price is pretty good.

7. bullet225ho

bullet225ho New Member

I'm shooting 4/8oz 10TSS and 1/8oz 4 steel duplex in 410. I had good success with it last year in Texas.

40yds 30" circle

410tss300mp40yds.jpg

Results with Yildiz 410 SxS
    day4haul.jpg

SB2MAG likes this.
  8. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Doh... forgot that load was 10tss. Great, that's what I was going to do with it problem solved ;)

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Nice Picture ! It's also my style of hunting as I try not to crawl around in the mud but Hey , whatever it takles , sometimes !

10. bullet225ho

bullet225ho New Member

Also took a woodie with Viper G2 and the same duplex load above here in GA.
    410woodytssresize.jpg