Anyone use your Labrador as a bunny flusher?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Anarchist Outdoors, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Anarchist Outdoors

Anarchist Outdoors Refuge Member

I recently did a You Tube Video using my Labrador for cottontails. Anyone else do this after the waterfowl seasons close?

Peace
    Scott

2. MeatDog717

MeatDog717 Refuge Member

I’ve thought about it but never did because we have so many damn bunnies in my back yard. I just don’t want it to become a thing with the dog. In the spring/summer evenings we have 5-10 easy in my yard alone, it would drive the dog nuts if he was trained to chase them....can’t even take a **** with out smelling a rabbit. We also kick up a lot of rabbits by accident hunting c birds but I never shoot at em...cause that would be it. In my experience the dog is usually very close to the rabbits when it does happen and I will not shoot anything on the ground. Don’t have a problem if anyone ground pounds c birds or whatever on their own time but not around my dog you won’t. We can still hunt pheasant til the end of the feb well after duck season so it’s still something to do. We just put two of them sneaky late season SOBs up on Tuesday. I do have a great little creek that mallards use year round runs right through my back yard, he doesn’t f with em because we worked on that **** forever when he was young. Don’t want to go down that road with bunnies...especially seeing as he doesn’t even bother with them now. I will say the nice thing about dogs as versatile as labs is you can make them whatever you want. To each their own...I think it’s cool as hell to watch labs work no matter what they’re doing. Great video, thanks for posting. I’d be really impressed to see a lab go toe to toe with a snowshoe hare and win that battle up in the big woods.

3. Anarchist Outdoors

Thanks MeatDog I'm envious of your late pheasant season dates (or even that you have pheasants, ours here in IN are pretty much gone). We have a crazy ton of bunnies here in the yard and driveway too in the spring and summer. Unfortunately most are gone before the season opens. I think the hawks and owls take a toll!

4. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

I don’t want to confuse my lab as to what we are hunting! It’s not bunnies.

Anarchist Outdoors likes this.
  5. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

One time my son, his friend, and his father took my lab and went rabbit hunting. They got 7 and posed for a picture with the dog holding a rabbit. To my knowledge, it never hurt his waterfowling. I used him on pheasants, quail, and grouse also. He was quite a versatile dog.

6. Anarchist Outdoors

I don't think my waterfowling's been hurt by it either that I can tell. I'm not sure about the future of her retrieving though since she's recently been diagnosed with a pretty bad case of hip dysplasia.

reddogge likes this.