Anything happening with lease prices yet?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

With many farm rents due in the summer months, has anyone seen outfitters drop any good farms due to the reduced shortened Canada Goose season? How about a reduction in club memberships or a lack of interest? We are filled up again this year, when two dropped out we had two jump in. Is the demand still there to fund tens of thousands in farm leases for clubs and outfitters?

2. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

I havent noticed a difference i did see
    Pits in chestertown for 1500 a piece

3. Langford

If they are decent that’s down from years past. Asking price for a goose pit in Kent is typically $2,500-3,500.

4. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Think most people are saying “ I’ll try it next season and see”. Season after this year, I think you will see a big difference in demand.

5. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Heard some big dollars being thrown down on a couple of farms that cost some guys who had a long term lease so I think some folks with funds appear to not be bothered with the reduced bag limit.

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I think people are willing to suck up a year just to hold onto a decent farm, but multiple years of 30 day seasons and a bad weather year you may see a difference.

In my experience though, once a farmer gets X for a farm they would rather it go unrented before they take less than X.

Maybe if demand is short for a few years things end up different, but I doubt it.

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  7. Langford

20 less days of revenue for outfitters.....something’s got to give. A loss for the season this year may have outfitters sharpening their pencils next.

I would expect a decent goose year due to a little less pressure even if the weather isn’t perfect.

8. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

1/2 the season, 1/2 the limit, means 1/4 the geese bagged. We told the farmer it should cost 25% the price, but offered 60% the price because some guys didn't want to let it go. Someone else offered 75% and he went with them. Didn't bother me, I told him I wouldn't even go there until the limit came back up. Ain't gonna waste a day to shoot 1 goose. Just show back up and run the price back up once the season comes back. I was told by the biologist this 30/1 is here for at least 3 years. Good riddance. Ducks will take a pounding, especially the divers. Probably see those limits drop after a year or two because of the extra pressure. Any goose hunting this year for me will be in the resident zone, or on the side of a duck spread.

9. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

The divers and sea ducks will take a pounding for sure i talked to jeff coats a fee weeks back at a hunt test and he was booked already this year
    At least i dont have to put out 6 ,7 dozen goose floaters this year im even gonna cut my duck spread to 2 dozen

10. Back2Maryland

Back2Maryland Senior Refuge Member

I have heard of 40-50% discounts on some goose-only farms. My Rock Hall club disbanded after the owners wouldn't drop the price and another group came in and grabbed it. It had water/ducks but you could save a ton of money and kill way more ducks hunting for a week out west.

B2M