AP geese arrival date

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

been there a couple of times. Think you will change your mind about 5 minutes after arrival.

Ruination likes this.
  2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Basically goes to what has been slowly solidifying in my mind over the past few years. The people doing the studies and making the rules don’t actually know *** they are talking about. Just playing the political game.

3. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

4. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Ungava was covered in snow with 64 degree days mid June? 4 degree average deviation between last year and this year made a difference between “decency productivity” and second worst hatch on record? What type of drugs are you on? These birds have the thickest belly feathers of any freaking bird on the planet and you think 4 ****ing degrees ruined their reproduction season? I highly doubt they knew the difference......

You people make about as much sense as a Democrat. Hell you might even be one.

5. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Spend some time up north, it takes time for snow to melt when it's built up for a while. If May was actually below freezing then June would have snow. It's 30 degrees vs 40 degrees. That's a pretty big difference.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  6. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Langford, Canada is a big country. You and Trevor's "good hatch stories" are from southern Canada. That's about like saying "gee, I heard reports that Texas had a good hatch, so all my birds coming from Michigan must've done well too." And while I've never been to the artic tundra, I spent a summer in Alaska. Nothing like being at the bottom of a mountain and it's 80 degrees and mosquitoes are everywhere and then you drive to the top and it's 34 and everything is still buried in snow. As said, feet of snow sitting on permafrost doesn't melt up there like 5 inches on warm ground does down here.

Do some more reading about the breeding cycles up there. A cold rainy week or two here can kill our turkey hatch if it's at the wrong time. One good blizzard up there can wipe the hatch out. And they don't even bother nesting up there when there's 16 inches of snow on the ground in June, like this year. As said above, big difference between 30 and 40 degrees to a wee little gosling.

This year was a bust. For the brant and snows especially, the sea ducks, and the AP Canada's too. Look at the snow maps, not your weather app. Now your puddlers and lower Canada "migratory residents", they did well and that will give some people some shooting. But don't expect the AP season to come roaring back to big limits next year or the year after. It's still years away.

7. Blackduck

And yes I've seen the outfitters and decoy makers posting up "cut and paste" good hatch reports this year that look like they're from last year. I guess since they know there are no reports, they'll just recycle, just like the FWS will with old numbers next year to set the seasons. Don't believe crap like that with an agenda.

8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

And who is to say that a good number of AP simply stopped migrating back to their original breeding grounds. I find it pretty coincidental that the southern Canada RP geese have experience a boom in population while the AP population has mysteriously fallen off a cliff. Biologists won’t even consider the fact that birds simply found a better way to survive. IMO if it walks like a goose and talks like a goose it sure as **** ain’t a muskrat. It doesn’t take a biology degree to use a little common bleeping sense. Once against, it’s about pushing an agenda, not finding out actual facts.

If any of you actually put the time and miles in this season you will see the same number of birds that we’ve been seeing for the past 10 seasons. I guess they are all RP geese now though :h

Ruination likes this.
  9. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

I agree with Trevor on this one. All we hear is short stopping on the migration south. Staying in NY & PA until late in the season. This may be true, but when the winters are still brutal at the typical breeding grounds they could easily short stop and have their nests farther south. If they can short stop on the way down, what’s keeping them from short stopping on the way up. Maybe they should start banding more of those lower Canada RP geese. Band harvest has been much lower in recent years, maybe this is needed to figure out the “new patterns”.

10. Blackduck

Not gonna disagree with you on changing breeding grounds at all. But they want to preserve "the flock" that still goes north to Ungava. Just like they tried to preserve "the flock" that still wintered in NC, by implementing a many year shutdown. Didn't really work down there. Might not work for MD either. But they will try, so someday you'll fuss about a closed season as they try to preserve the few that still come to MD. Remember, Canada's used to go to FL and LA. In 20 years all we will have left are a bunch of geese wintering in NY and breeding right across the border in southern Ontario and Quebec. Come on birding clubs, let's go watch the 50 mile migration. Wonder if they'll still migrate on a full moon? Or just switch to a southern roost after a feed.

As for snows and brant, they aren't making any changes like that any time soon. So they'll still be having good and bad hatches based on the weather.

Kinda doubt the small AP geese will do well fighting for breeding territory against 12 pound locals. I guess they'll just be dying out if your theory is correct.

I suspect birds will be going to Ungava to breed as long as I'm alive, and those birds will be smaller and referred to as AP.