AP Geese

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I thought the recent cold weather would have pushed them out, but it warmed up and they are still here.
To make a Canada goose leave it takes extended period of snow cover. If there's any chance of it melting they'll wait it out. ( here in illinois)

PaMike

Reaction score
On the Eastern shore snow is welcomed. Even a blizzard because eventually it will blow off the hillsides. Pits were built with that in mind. Of course having tidal ,brackish ,big water and many ponds with ice eaters helps. Since winter 2017/2018 all that has been a non issue.

TheCanMan

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
To make a Canada goose leave it takes extended period of snow cover. If there's any chance of it melting they'll wait it out. ( here in illinois)

The marsh I hunt had frozen over for a week. I’ve seen that push them out in years past without snow cover.

PaMike

Reaction score
AP or Atlantic population geese. Primary nest on the Ungava Peninsula in Canada. Migration corridor through NY ,VT, NJ, PA and into the Chesapeake region. They are managed different than the Resident population in these states.