AP Goose report

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Bwana1, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

35520B7B-2D1C-4420-8C09-ECDD5BFD5BF2.jpeg 35520B7B-2D1C-4420-8C09-ECDD5BFD5BF2.jpeg

2. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Looks like maybe some good news for a change. If we can get a cold winter (early) in PA & NY we could get a good look at what we have in a mid winter survey.

Bwana1 likes this.
  3. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    Best of both worlds.. although we have a limited season, we are having a season and the population may contain more birds..
    Perhaps a good production year coupled with a reduced bag across the entire
    harvest areas will allow a gain in the population

4. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

My prediction is at least two years return of the survey, and three above average nesting seasons and we should be back to 2 bird 45 day season. I don’t think we will get this lucky 3 consecutive years so I would imagine we are up against 4-5 more years of a restrictive season.

I have to say I am okay with a longer restrictive package if we can get back to goose numbers like we had in 02-03, 07ish, 2011ish. Right weather conditions the shore wintered an abundance of ducks, geese, and swans. When we have one of those “cold” years we come to expect those numbers every year. 55-60 degree days and no snow on the ground until January in PA & NY won’t get the job done.