AP Goose Survey

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Don’t forget to fill out your survey. Seasons are already set for the the 2021-22 season but this is in reference to future years. This is a pretty good indicator we are going to be in a restrictive season for many years to come.

In my opinion I do not want to see the season any shorter than 30 days. The 1 bird doesn’t bother me, but 15 days less to hunt would be terrible to what is an already short season that goes by in the blink of an eye.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MDDNR/bulletins/2e6f6dc

2. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Cut the season to 15 days and 1 bird.

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  3. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

if that bad, how about just cutting the season

Scotty and Dirtybird420 like this.
  4. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

I chose 30day 1 bird limit. Very rarely did I exclusively target black geese when it was 2 birds and wouldn't bother for just 1. But I do like to shoot them when the opportunity presents itself while duck hunting. I could see the field guys picking the 15day 2bird seasons between the 2 options.

mooseknuckle and Dirtybird420 like this.
  5. carolina girl

If it comes to this, just shut it down.

15 day one or two bird season for a goose? I see them all year long, walk right through our parking lot and into the mechanics shop with babies for Cheetos

Scotty likes this.
  6. carolina girl

I think, you should open up goose season at a date that science shows, ap geese have migrated north and close it when science says ap geese are migrating south. Basically all year long except for 15/30 days. Make goose hunters that want to hunt geese clean up the resident population. Close ap geese all together. Win win.

7. RBurg44

RBurg44 New Member

30 day 1 goose for me. Not about shootin limits its about being out there hunting them. Id rather be out there more days then less. Going to be on going issue imo rather be afield more then not.

8. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    If need be, close the goose season... as stated above, close it when the AP geese migrate south and keep it closed until well after they all are safely back in Canada.
    Years ago, it was thought that Baltimore County and Carrol County were not part of the AP migration corridor, but that has been changed. Looking at the Map, are we to believe that the AP Geese do not migrate down over Central PA but just cling to the Susquehanna River? I think the Biologist need to re-evaluate the goose patterns....

Dirtybird420 likes this.
  9. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

I don’t see what “putting the season out” is going to do to help the population rebound. 1 bird 30 has probably cut the harvest in more than half compared to the 2 bird 45 day we enjoyed for so long. Less people going goose hunting, less days to hunt, and less geese killed should be enough to start to see a rebound. We just need a few good hatches to help as well. The Feds finally did the right thing and mandated this (30/1) structure across the entire Atlantic flyway for 2021-2022. That’s a great start. But the difference between putting it out and the structure we are in now would be minimal. And the way it is now, farmers, sporting good stores, hotels, restaurants still see some economic gain from the “goose hunters”

We arnt at the point of needing another moratorium but could easily be years 3+ away from a return of a liberal harvest structure again.

I have been keeping track of the weather on the breeding grounds. Doesn’t look like an early thaw, but temps have been about average or slightly below. Of course no survey again this year but I am sure the biologist will fill us in with their predictions.

10. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

You shut your dirty ***** mouth.

15/2 sounds pretty good to me.

Scotty likes this.