AP Goose Survey

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Jul 8, 2021.

1. quakerneck

quakerneck Senior Refuge Member

still allowed a split in the 15 day?

2. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Anymore goose hunting is an extra to duck hunting for me. I would not care if they shut it down IMO. If I recall there seemed to be more geese around back when they shut it down the first time then what we have now.

wingsandwater likes this.
  3. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

30 days, 1 bird

4. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Federal guidelines would still allow 2 splits but any way you look at it, that’s 15 days less in field on what is already to short of a season.

If 15 days was broken down into 2 splits that would be a hard one to decide. Our luck they would do full moon in December, Full moon in January.

Bwana1 likes this.
  5. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I’m a field guy, I’d much rather have more days than a higher limit. 30/1 would be my pick.

Blk_dog21 and RBurg44 like this.
  6. joecitrano

joecitrano Elite Refuge Member

30 and 1 for me. My luck, 15 day season my birds would arrive on day 16

7. otis1223

otis1223 New Member

With NY/NJ/PA taking 2-3x as many geese as DelMarVa and their absurd early "resident" seasons I'm not convinced that the AP season/limits really make any difference. Kill the NY early "resident" season and I'd bet you'd see a bigger difference than even shutting down the season in the mid-atlantic.

8. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Spot on, Senor otis.

9. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

For the entire Atlantic Flyway all residents seasons need to end no later than 9/15. You can’t argue the fact that there are migrators here by then. They are in PA & NY before then. The last 10 days up there is a beat down.

10. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Most mismanaged natural resource of all time in my opinion. Instead of welcoming the fact that the geese adapted to the environment and localized populations increased and a valuable resource was established,the geese were decimated with too much season and high bag limits. The northern states enjoyed not only a strong resident populations but an influx of migrsting birds at the same time. Now, all of a sudden...the limit on migratory geese are reduced to just about nothing,leaving the waterfowler with a missed opportunity further down the coast. So,to fix this mistake the best thing would be in my opinion,is to have an entire Atlantic fly way goose season the same for all states with a reasonable bag limit. Do away with the resident/non resident ideaology and Start a Canada goose season with a two bird limit for the entire fly way(no exceptions) and see what happens,I would be willing to bet that it would be a win -win for not only the birds but the hunters as well. Many a good spot has been ruined trying to shoot five and ten bird limits and we are paying for it now. The Canada goose is a remarkable bird,adapted and changed to environmental conditions to survive, I expect the wildlife service to step up and also do its part and change and adapt to better manage a great natural resource.

Ruination and MeatDog717 like this.