Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Aqua Pods

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Merganser Sluicer, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Merganser Sluicer

Merganser Sluicer Elite Refuge Member

I am looking at replacing my old 10ft Aquapod which was fiberglass. I was hoping someone had some good intel on the differences good and bad of rotomolded versus fiberglass? The rotomolded is lighter, less expensive, and I would guess overall tougher which all seems like a win. That said I have had no complaints with my fiberglass one as well and would replace it gladly just with exactly what I had.

2. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I would agree except I would think fiberglass would be tougher and the fiberglass one weighs 10 lbs less. You also can’t fix plastic where you can repair holes (which I have) on the fiberglass. That being said at 1/3 of the price I would buy rotomolded haha.

Merganser Sluicer likes this.
  3. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

I have beat the crap out of my 10ft roto pod and it has held up well. Fully loaded and pulling it over rocky beach it doesn’t have that same sound as the fiberglass. A little less cringy if you know what I mean?? Seems to glide over that kind of terrain much easier. My one complaint is the gunner wall braces. Not sure if they have fixed that since I bought mine. If you like the Pod for how you hunt. Root or Glass (if you can find one) you really can’t go wrong

cheers,

Adam

Merganser Sluicer and Billy Bob like this.
  4. furface

furface Elite Refuge Member

What is the issue that you are having with your old pod? I have a couple of glass pods. I have done a repair or two on them and beefed up a couple of week spots. Working on them is pretty simple.
    To bad I have not had them on the water for a few years now.. :(

5. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member

We have run both models for years and here are my $.02...

The fiberglass and roto 'pods each have their strengths.

Classic Glass 'Pod is heavier but better @ floating, paddling, cruising and tracking in open water. Slightly higher sides aka freeboard--think saltwater paddles within reason, Columbia River, Lakes and ponds. Drags fine thru grass and mud but as stated before no bueno over rocky shorelines-- or that you're carrying it or patching the keel area annually. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of if you don't know how to work w/ fiberglass.

Roto plastic 'Pod. Less freeboard, lighter, cheaper and drags like a dream over anything. There are patch kits for plastic, but so far haven't needed to fix any substantial holes even after dropping them at height. I prefer the plastic pods for loading into the tenderboat as they don't get banged up on the gunnels coming in & out on deploy. Paddle great, just not as substantial as the glass models. Side wall braces on the original model were pita...I ended up just reinforcing and bolting them in... new models have pillars molded into the boats, much better.

Either way you can't go wrong. They're both great little duck boats!

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I have both fiberglass and rotomolded. Roto almost always gets the nod. It's lighter and drags a hundred times easier and floats in less water. When I waxed the bottom it got even easier to drag. I've beat the snot out of the roto for several years, drag it everywhere, gravel bars, boat launches, driftwood, log jams. It has 1 scratch in the bottom from a nail in a piece of driftwood I dragged it over full of gear. You would have to be seriously abusive to your gear to do any real damage to one. The only negative is that it's a bit lower profile so not as good in open water. That lower profile does make it better than the fiberglass when using as layout blinds.

7. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

Really can't add much to what everyone else has already said. I have both and use them both and the glass one get used as a layout more often than the root just seems to float better.