Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Aquia Creek Early Season Goose Hunt

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Revere25, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

What you really need is experience behind the wheel in the boat. Go as often as you canto get that. These rivers are not a joke and will take you out as quickly as a lightning strike. Running aroun in The day fishing is one thing versus pitch black boat ride in cold water with strong wind Using good judgement is the key to water fowling.

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Boat has to have zero movement from the motor’s force towards the birds. I have motored up to cripples, put the motor in reverse a bit to actually get a little reverse movement of the boat, shut it down and raised the motor up out of the water then let my buddy shoot, when I knew I was being observed and possibly videoed in an area known to harbor anti’s. A bit much, but you can do all that in a few seconds. Float hunting can work but on big rivers the birds have so much warning by seeing your boat approach from a distance that they will flight out of range. A smaller narrower with twists and turns is better. We use a push pole in the stern or a paddle, and my buddy sits in the bow with the shotgun ready to shoot in a second’s time when we round a turn. Google Rail hunting in Virginia, also a cool deviation to waterfowl hunting in our state.
    Get a copy of the regs and read them through and through. They are now in Walmart hunting departments, get 2 copies. One for the easy chair then later for your blind bag, and one for the bathroom. Easy reading.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Revere25 likes this.
  3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

You are better off fishing than hunting in September. But as others have said, start to use time on the water to scout, learn (what is the ride like with a south wind and outgoing tide or a north wind and incoming tide). If you have a mud motor it may open some possibilities for you, but a lot up this way is already claimed. Also be aware that the water in the winter tends to be lower than during the summer, that will transition in September/October, but keep it in mind if you find the perfect skinny water place now.

YoungQuacker and Revere25 like this.
  4. YoungQuacker

YoungQuacker Senior Refuge Member

Keep us updated. Were you successful?

These guys gave you excellent advice. The one that I will say can not be stressed enough is making good sound judgment while operating your vessel. I’ve been in bad weather before in both big and small boats. While your vessel may be able to handle chop or skinny water, the wind is the most unpredictable and can surprise you or take you down. Please be safe.

If you try hard enough, you will find some spots to float. Good luck!

5. Revere25

Revere25 New Member

Ive been using the boat primarily to fish or cruise around in the creeks but hope with enough scouting and reps with others to do things safely, especially considering all the great advice I’ve gotten through the forum.

Trying to get into it the sport gradually this season. Always open to advise!

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I use this if I'm going hunting or going fishing offshore. Check at least 3 weather apps. The wind this Spring was off by 10mph on a regular basis. The NOAA coastal marine forecast is better than local news and other land focused weather reports. Not saying it is always accurate but gives a better sense of sea and wind conditions.

Generally speaking 5-10 ok, 10-15 pay close attention, 15+ you better know what you are doing, what the tide is doing, how exposed are you to the wind direction.

Revere25 likes this.