are buffleheads good to eat?

malllardhunter

Refuge Member
Reaction score
i am hunting my river blind in west tennessee.......so far all i am mostly killing are buffleheads.......can you eat them?.....how do you fix them?:z

Layout101

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Are buffleheads good to eat?

NO

But they sure do look pretty and fly fast!

All Day

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding? Butterballs taste great! You just don't get the meat you would from a larger duck. Make jerky or cook them like you would any other duck. I've eaten plenty! Enjoy!

Almightymoonpie

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
just marinate them in Itillian dressing and wrap them in bacon, Grill to done and toss in the trash, I knew of a man back in collage that loved them, Must be an aquired taste.

ole cypress

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Almightymoonpie said:
just marinate them in Itillian dressing and wrap them in bacon, Grill to done and toss in the trash, I knew of a man back in collage that loved them, Must be an aquired taste.

now thats funny, i dont care who you are!!!
:l

west allis duck hunters

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We eat them up here, taste like any other duck if ya cook them right. A little marinate, some onion, pepper, mushroom, thin strip of duck meat and wrap in bacon, grill and they taste great.

Mike M.

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They are a little strong compared to a puddler but certainly still edibile. Buffleheads have saved the day for me many times. :l

BayMan718

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
butterfly em..take the bones and vertabre out put all the meat in crock pot with sourkraut slow cook for 6 hours.. serve with home made german dumplings...

or

grind em up and make chili out of em..

both work and you wouldnt know if you were eating mallards of buffleheads

Diver Dan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Buffleheads rank right up there with a turd ! If you like rotten fish flaver you'll like them. Fun to shoot, great for dog work and makes a really nice mount but thats about all. I'd love to watch someone eat a Bufflehead and tell me its good. I guess the answer is cook'em up and try to eat them. Please let us know what you think.....

All Day

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Diver Dan! Are we talking about the same duck? I've NEVER had a bad one. I can't tell the diff between a bufflehead and a mallard. Maybe the ones you guys are getting have been eating on a sewer lagoon, S%$T pond!:dv

Latest posts