Are chukars any good to eat?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Aug 28, 2019.

1. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Had Kansas pheasant last night.

We have a hickory marinade that we like. Few hours in that in a ziplock and then on the EGG for a few minutes a side. We really enjoy it.

2. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

They are almost exactly like Ruffed Grouse. Young ones.

3. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

Chukar , to me, are better eating than pheasant or quail. I've shot both wild and pen raised. As far a cooking them, look at it like cooking raw shrimp. They will have a clearness to the meat, like most upland birds do. Watch them depending on how you cook them. As soon as the meat turns to that whiter color, stop cooking. You don't want to over cook them. Chukar meat is very tender.
    IMO....order of taste and tenderness are as follows:
    1- blue grouse
    2- chukar
    3 - quail
    4 - pheasant
    A couple of pic's from a morning opener in the Cali desert. Around 1992. 20190828_150415.jpg 20190828_150400.jpg

4. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Supporting Member Moderator

Wild chukar hunting is not an old man sport. :(

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

The wild and pen raised birds taste the same to me. Really good table fare. The only noticeable difference is the size. A pen raised bird is about 25% larger than a wild bird. Chukar hunting is my least favorite thing to do. But once you get into the birds, it's my favorite!

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

I can't disagree. I've literally climbed up past bighorn sheep to get to the chukar. What works best for me is listening to the birds. Once I key in on a few coveys, I climb to that elevation. Then sidehill until you find them. They typically get to a certain altitude and feed. A good dog is mandatory.

7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I plan on shooting some chukar in sea level soybean fields with a stogie in my mouth and a Busch light in my game vest. No way would I climb a damn mountain for a bird smaller than a pheasant.

8. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Supporting Member Moderator

As I got older I waited until cold and snow forced them down to fields. I can't walk much now so most upland is out.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Pen-reared chuckar are mild birds and are similar to chicken... White meat, mild taste.

Wild chuckar can vary in flavor depending on their diet. I have not shot a lot of wild chuckar, but I have had some that are good table fare (if you like white meat), and I have had some that had a strong "sage" taste.

And as a fowl, chuckar (wild or pen-reared) they do smell foul.... If you are hunting over a dog with any kind of nose, they are not a challenge for the dog to find... And with a flushing dog with a lot of drive and savy, the dog will catch a few before they fly (pen raised, not wild).

Personally, my favorite eating upland game are mountain quail... We are often shooting them near madrone berries.

10. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I've been around pen raised birds a little bit (a guy was raising them in pens on one of our rented farms) and they were no bigger than the wild birds. I have shot a few big wild chukar that would give a hen pheasant a run for her money size-wise.