Are chukars any good to eat?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Aug 28, 2019.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

That pretty much describes my preferred way to hunt any type of game. There was a time when I’d spend an hour belly crawling half a mile through thigh deep mud to get a chance to water swat a single teal, but the older I get, the more I realize that I don’t like to work when I go hunting. I want the least amount of work possible for the most amount of reward possible. Which really isn’t good for me, because that type of hunting requires money, and I don’t have any.

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

Just wanted to share with those of you that have chased them up and down and all over hell and back to bag a few. I have shot my share of wild chukar over the years. Nearing over a hundo. At 61 years, i'll be chasing them this opening weekend with a buddy and my dog. This one I had mounted has spurs! I have never seen spurs on a chukar before or after this one. Just wondering if any of you ever shot one with spurs?
    20190828_212231.jpg 20190828_212028.jpg 20190828_212149.jpg

seiowa and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Whoa dude that’s so sick! I don’t know anything about chukars, but that’s a cool looking bird, man. Nice!!!

Birdcrazy likes this.
  4. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Are those nubs spurs? My 2 that are mounted don't have them but I recall that my taxidermist said that he has seen them.

Back in the heyday of chukar hunting which was 35 -45 years ago, I never paid attention to details.

I hope it is a good season for both of us.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

First time I bought chukar home and cooked them up my wife asked why I couldn't hunt them all the time instead of ducks. They are that good.

waterswatter likes this.
  6. Birdcrazy

They are called that. And at least between all U have shot and every one that all of my buds have ever shot, this bird is the only one I have seen with them.
    Good luck to you also. :tu
    Post a pic if you get into them!

waterswatter likes this.
  7. Birdcrazy

Thanks, appreciate that bro. :tu One has to be half mountain goat to get into them!

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

They say the first time you hunt chukars it is for fun and for the rest of your life you hunt them for revenge.

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

We find them at higher elevations. I don't know where you're located or if that terrain is near you. They're weird in that they migrate up and down in elevation, up in winter and down during breeding season. They are tough, a lot of times I shoot them with a .22

10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

Chucker don't hold a candle to Mt quail as far as table fare, I'd walk right past chucker or pheasant to bag a limit of quail. For me they are the best eating upland game there is, I've never shot or ate grouse. I'd like to hunt them some day if I could find a place to do so.

I've hunted chucker once and that was enough for me, even when I was in shape. I'm not into climbing mountains to hunt an average tasting bird that is the size of my fist after cleaning them.
    They are pretty good smoked though, bland and tasteless otherwise, you really have to jazz them up to make them worth eating in my opinion, I'll take a nice fat Sprig or Speck over any of the above though.