Are chukars any good to eat?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

Yep. Chukar always fly uphill. I hunted them around Vantage, WA back in the late 60s into the 70s. They were work for me even back then in my late teens and early 20s. And I always did the bird-dogging.

2. wiquackaddict

wiquackaddict Senior Refuge Member

In my opinion wild chuker are the best table fare of all upland birds. Pen raised lose about half the flavor and become mild. I like to dry rub with a mild thyme and sage herb mix and grill them. DON'T overcook, medium max.

blacktail likes this.
  3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

That has not been my experience at all.... The run uphill, and fly downhill.... After flying downhill and gaining velocity, they will often gain altitude again, and land at about the same elevation they were flushed from (generally on a ridge across the canyon you are hunting), but if you are lucky, they will land somewhere below below you on the same ridge... I have not been lucky very often.

They run uphill... And they keep running until they get to the top of the ridge (and then fly down the other side) or until you (or someone else) gets above them... At which time they fly down hill, and achieve subsonic velocities. They are not nearly as fast on the flush as quail are, but their terminal velocities are much, much faster.

The few times I have come up on them for close flushes, I have shot them with angry revenge. Shooting them down hill from someone else flushing them is like shooting at a jet. Generally, they flush wild, and shots are long initial flushes... Then hunt the area of the covey flush and pray for a straggler holding tight in the rocks... Sometimes the stragglers or singles hold really, really tight.

blacktail and Birdcrazy like this.
  4. Sault Ste. Marie

Yes. You are right and I am wrong. It has been almost 50 years since I hunted them around Vantage, WA. Yep. They run uphill and fly downhill. You need LUNGS and LEGS to hunt those critters. It would likely kill me to hunt them hard today.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I think you also need to be a bit stupid or masochistic... I'd hunt them again, and I give "stupid" the credit... That and a sense of "revenge."

I do not believe I have ever hunted such and uncooperative bird... I cannot think of another bird that I have had the opportunity to hunt in large numbers and done so poorly.

Several years ago, I was quail hunting in the high desert with two avid upland hunters, and we started running into chuckar… Seeing the chuckar in basically record numbers, we all decided to ditch the quail, and concentrate our efforts on the chuckar. No matter what we did, we could not get up on them (even tried sitting the dogs and trying to quietly sneak up on them). It was dry, and they were flushing wild, and not even the singles would hold. After hunting all day, and seeing literally hundreds of birds, I think we had 6 birds between us recovered (each had two)… I had knocked down a double (with both birds lost in the cactus), and my dog Paisly came back after trying to retrieve a cripple in the cactus with several bad thorns in her snoot (luckily I had taken pliers for just such an occurrence).

As they were discussing the game plan for the next morning to get revenge on the chuckar, I told them to leave me out of it, as I was going to hunt the far more cooperative valley quail... I do not ever remember having a more satisfying, and seemingly easy valley quail hunt.

Sault Ste. Marie likes this.
  6. Trupoint

Trupoint New Member

Great for dog training and also tablefare

7. Sault Ste. Marie

Your story jogged my memory. The easiest shooting for chukar I ever had was when I was walking an irrigation ditch one evening looking to jump ducks. Didn't see any ducks, but I did jump two chukars down at the water's edge getting a drink. They flushed and I killed them both. But what was even more memorable was that I gunned them with my dad's Auto-5 that he had handed this 16-year-old boy with the instructions, 'bring back some birds'. I did. They just weren't mallards.

Birdcrazy likes this.
  8. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I was on one easy chukar hunt in my life. Well actually a few. When the snow flies and buries the food and the birds go hungry they will flock right along the dirt, gravel and paved roads and they are easy pickings. It's not fair chase and it's not my cup of tea and the ODFW will close the season after adequate warning.

My one, easy hunt that was fair chase was with my uncle and several of his buddies. Uncle was friends with a local rancher and that rancher had a road to the top of the mountain. We loaded up in three pickups and got dropped off at various points. Walking was mostly side-hilling and downhill and his dog did all the retrieving.

9. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

2 years ago along the Malhuer the idiots decimated the chukar population from the road due to snow depth. Sad.
    We’re lucky in this state to have so much acreage of public land plugged full of wild chukar, huns and quail. Every year that goes by, I’ve learned how to hunt them smarter.
    One of my first chukar hunts was in hell’s canyon. Walked up 1000’ feet, side hilled, me and buddy shot our limit. Didn’t think twice about it. 27 years ago. I remember that hunt because my buddy who is an upland fanatic still talks about it because we killed 16 birds out of one covey of 50. You know how many times you have to walk up and down chasing just one covey? Holy crap!!

Today, I’d rather stick a stick in my good eye than do that same hunt.
    I’ve got spots now that are maybe 300’ climbs

10. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Up on top for the most part. If you are lucky you'll find em in the road on the way up. Look for Aspen patches.