Arkansas Valley/Pueblo?

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by Headless T, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Headless T

Headless T Senior Refuge Member

I need some advice......

Where do I hunt near Pueblo and along the Arkansas River???

I grew up on the Western Slope and I have recently relocated to Colorado Springs.

I love to waterfowl hunt but didn't see much today when I went out. I was set up with decoy's to the East of the Pueblo Reservoir (on the river) and the only birds I saw were a small flock of teal as I was walking in before legal shooting hours. Then (classic) nothing after legal shooting hours....ok I did see some birds (8-10 Komorant, hundreds of blackbirds, a lone seagull and several hawks).

Later on I drove out to La Junta and tried my luck at jump hunting at the Oxbow SWA (near Old Fort Bent). Same thing.....nothing.

So, what is up? Is it to early to see any ducks or am I just hunting in the wrong places and in the wrong ways? HELP......

I do admit that I am fairly new to waterfowling. I got hooked a couple of years ago and have never been able to get a cure...so I keep going and continue to love just being out. There is nothing like seeing the sun come up over a set of decoy's.

Any advice for this neck of the woods would be welcome.

2. SkyCarp

SkyCarp Senior Refuge Member

Headless T,
    Your not doing anything wrong, its just to early for the Arkansas Valley and we are in a drought. The Oxbow SWA has always been a so-so area in my opinion, I always found it better for Bobwhite Quail and it is the BEST Dove hunting i know of and I have hunted Dove in CA, AZ, TX & SC. Rocky Ford SWA is a little better. Blue Lake when full can have great Duck hunting as well as John Martin. Your best hunting is gonna come from knocking on doors. I seldom venture on public land now. The Arkansas Valley is far enough away from Denver to where the Leasing plague in minimal, but because of all these hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel being filmed down there its coming. :confused:

3. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

What SkyCarp said.
    The guy who owns the liquor store in LA is a hunter and a DU sponsor and a real nice guy. He gives same advice as SkyCarp - contact farmers adjacent to the river to ask permission. I have never tried it.

Learn to take advantage of the water levels, wind, and ice conditions. Also be aware of the weather systems, time of year, and pressure from other hunters. Hunting is tough here, but I like it because if you are successfull you know you earned it.

A few hints about Oxbow - Being able to call well is important there. It is one of the few huntable areas when the winds are high. They say the geese can be thick there, but I've never seen one. Rig some of your decoys so the line forks 4" from keel and tethers them at both the front and back of the keel. That way they will swim somewhat sideways in the current and add motion.

Pueblo Res is never easy but gets better later and most of the hunters there are friendly and willing to share knowledge.

Rain the last 2 days could quickly flood some of the dry basins, create some potholes in the irrigation ditches, or back some water up onto the mud skirts and weeds ringing the reservoirs. You won't know without scouting, but those would all be good situations.

4. RETREVR

RETREVR Senior Refuge Member

Has anybody ever asked to hunt the pond at the cement factory?

5. SkyCarp

OOOOOOOO MAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That pond can have some serious Honkers & Snow's on it !!!!! What I would do to jump shoot that pond !!!

6. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

I think about it every time I drive by, but I've never stopped.

7. Headless T

Headless T Senior Refuge Member

Ditto...

My In-Laws are from Westcliffe and I take that drive frequently (sometimes to frequently). No matter the time of year I always see some geese, must be some locals.

I would imagine if it doesn't see any pressure that it can get loaded up.

I asked about hunting the river between the reservoir and the "cement plant pond" as it would be prime water. The DOW guy said that it is closed to hunting....bummer.

Thanks for all of the good info.

8. RETREVR

The last time I was down there I saw a sign on the side of hwy50 outside of Fowler that said something about pheasant and quail. I was going soo fast I didn't catch it. It was a farm of some sort. Anybody have info on that?

There is a truck that sells tacos on the weekend in rocky ford...try them.
    And for all the people new to the springs...go to El Taco Rey on colorado ave and order an Avacado Pork Burritto(un-smothered). They rock.

9. SkyCarp

Retrevr,
    I have that phone number if you need it. send me a PM if you want it.

Monicas Taco shop on Powers and Palmer Park is pretty good too !!!

10. RETREVR

Skarp-
    What is the bird place? Do they just sell birds or do they have land where you can work a dog with them or what?

I had a fish taco from Monica's that was great. I also had a bad fish taco from the one on Fillmore. They just put a Passkey restaraunt in behind Monica's on Powers. They have good sausage sandwiches. They have been in pueblo for 50 years.

Since we are on food....Blackened Teal is awesome.
    Make a blackening spice mixture or just buy the Paul Prudhommes redfish blackening spice. Breast out the bird, put plenty of spice on it and sear it in a cast iron skillet. Trust me...very good.