Armpit Longbeards

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by beretta buster, May 3, 2021 at 4:11 PM.

1. beretta buster

beretta buster New Member

We don't start here in PA until May 1st which allows for some extracurricular travel to neighboring states that start earlier. After getting my tail whipped mid-April in Virginia I took a shorter drive to the Armpit of America...New Jersey. As it often goes when painting a particular place with a broad brush, there are always exceptions. This particular area of New Jersey is just that, beautiful rolling ag fields with hardwood bottoms and gentle ridges.

A nicely written letter landed me a 500 acre slice of longbeard heaven. My brother and I both scored our first morning there and were done by 9:15 on Friday. While he ended up with what turned out to be a super jake (he would be pissed if he knew this was posted) it was especially sweet to see him shoot one after missing several of the past few seasons due to his commitment to the US Army. I imagine there is little to no traffic on these forums from NJ but I'm here to tell you there is some great turkey hunting in the Armpit.

Attached Files:

2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Turkey Hunters Forum Moderator

NorCal: specks,sprig,gobblers,blacktails.
    Nice birds. Great writing, too.
    Congratulations!

3. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Nutin' wrong with a "super jake" and congrats to ya' both :tu

Out in Texas, one of the guys shot one that was 18.4#'s of "super jake" and called one in MI one time for my farmer client friend that weighed bout' that ;)

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  4. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Very nice and a hearty congrats to you both!

5. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Nice birds. I spent over 6 of my 23 Active Army years stationed between Ft Monmouth (hunted Earle NWS) and Picatinny and went to a couple of schools at Fort Dix. I will tell you the hunting is great throughout the state.... except in the Armpit areas...... Just like in the Armpit areas in Pennsylvania.

There are armpit areas throughout the states and even more abroad. I will take Jersey any day. And you should hear what those Jersey folks call folks from PA :)

6. beretta buster

beretta buster New Member

Couldn't say it any better myself, every state has a ****hole area. I'm also aware of the reputation the PA hunting community has and it's not one I'm proud to be lumped in to. You run around public ground long enough in PA and you'll understand...lot of slack jawed hilljacks here. Road hunting, rifle using (in the Spring), poaching SOB's run abound in PA.

Thank you for your service Marshbum.

7. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Hey I am from Kansas, I know all about ROAD hunting ditch chickens and yotes!