Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Article - Arkansas Duckhunting Decline - Climate Change

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by gock5, Apr 1, 2019.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

It was cold LATE in the year.

2. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Elite Refuge Member

tin foil hat.jpg

callinfowl likes this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

When it finally got cold, the ducks indeed went to AR.

Vammy, Rebranger and buck_master_2001 like this.
  4. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

So much for a discussion on duck numbers declining in some places like Arkansas while they are doing good and even increasing in others.
    Refuge forums. LMAO. Again
    Next thread please.

5. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

We have a crazy year and people are losing their minds. Blaming everything they can possibly blame.

JP likes this.
  6. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

This forums interesting for sure. I took a break for a while. Came back an chimed in a little. Wow.
    Think I found the wrong site. Duck hunting and flyways mutates to Democrats, Republicans, conspiracy, who know what. I think I found MAD magazine. Hilarious if it was comedy.

OneShotBandit and Rebranger like this.
  7. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Canard, I can only speak for what I know about my state, Illinois, and what I see during my frequent forays into the countryside in SE Iowa.
    When I was a youngster, first starting to hunt, 62 years ago, duck season was big, but the upland opener was GIANT. A few people were partaking in Illinois first deer seasons in a half century. When I first moved to NE Illinois, 33 years ago, just 15 miles from the Mississippi River, I struggled to find local duck hunters, but there were oodles of people at the local blind drawings. Every field entrance had a PU or SUV for the opening weekend of upland. The local motel was full. Jump ahead another 7 years, to 1993, the duck blind drawing, one of 3 local pool drawings, each drew at least 5-600 hunters (they have to have a state duck stamp and hunting license to enter the drawing). I had acquired an upland and deer hunting spot. Driving to the upland opener, there were no longer vehicles at most field entrances, in fact there were very few. Few vehicles at the local motel. Shotgun deer season, just the opposite. Vehicles everywhere. The great pumpkin army deployed at every woodlot, hedge and creek bottom.
    Much of that land, formerly available to upland hunters is now leased to trophy deer hunters. (A certain famous duck call maker from your state was deer hunting within ten miles of my home a year or two ago.) As you can't hunt the same farm week after week for upland, those hunters have to have access to a pretty fair amount of ground. This is no longer possible in Illinois and at least what I've seen and heard about Iowa. When I moved here, I knew at least a dozen guys that kept upland dogs and hunted hard. I do not know one now...they simply quit hunting.
    Deer, turkey, squirrel and upland hunters must have a habitat stamp in Illinois. If it weren't for deer and turkey hunters, DNR wouldn't sell enough stamps to even list it on the venue. Upland hunting is dead in Illinois. Talking to an Iowa dog trainer recently, he said he hadn't worked a dog for upland for over a decade. Except for opening day, I see the same lack of hunters on the landscape in SE Iowa.
    Having spent 30 years at ILDNR, albeit in fisheries, I can tell you that wildlife biologists in upper Midwestern states, are every bit as concerned about the loss of upland hunters as they are about the loss of duck hunters. AND, it is more pronounced.

8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I hunt with a guy who is 80+ or so... He started in the late 50s only to quit in 78 to get married. He started back duck hunting the same area in 05. He thought he would have the bottoms to himself as many of the old guys had died or quit...

The areas they thought were crowded with five rigs now have 75 rigs.... I can't go anywhere and not see crowds duck hunting.

I believe the average old duck hunter was probably closer to what dove hunters do where they hunt the opener then fizzle out. Yes they bought Stamps but the majority didn't hunt near as much as the average hunter does these days

Rebranger likes this.
  9. Troller

Troller Senior Refuge Member

(1) All politicians lie.

(2) Bill Clinton is not our first lady.

(3) Carry on with psychobabble.

Rebranger likes this.
  10. gock5

gock5 Elite Refuge Member

upload_2019-11-1_19-2-26.png

Rebranger and spaightlabs like this.