As Tule Lake vanishes, so do lives and livelihoods

CalBaer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Vradenburg has a pretty good long term perspective. The Karuk Tribe spokesman is over-exaggerating by calling it a 1000 year drought. We are in a precarious situation this year. Both LK and Tule Lake (Sumps A and B) will be dry for the first time since the white man arrived. How will that impact the fall migration? And how will it impact the ability of our 179 K mallards to survive the molt? We already have seen the impact on our BPOP. How much lower will it go if the drought continues? Locals are trying to hang on to their farms that are 3-4 generations deep. Yes, there is a drought, no doubt. But water policy favoring endangered fish is also a factor. It isn't a coincidence that once the Biological Opinon under the ESA changed, did we see huge cutbacks to Lower Klamath water delivery.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Don't forget modern day farming has increased in acreage so has the demands for more water ! With over populating areas with homes , businesses
our natural resources have been stressed for a decade or two . Will this drought be what changes our life styles , doubt it , as we are buying more
stuff from China and selling our precious minerals and commodities to foreign countries . So , Thanks corporate America which has more foreign
investors that can care less , about our water !

CalBaer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not sure about your analogy as it relates to farming in the Klamath Basin. The Klamath Basin is mainly small family farms, not corporate farms. Some of the farmers do have contracts with major agricultural producers. But that is farming in 2022.

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks this will ever be a priority or will be restored to what it was is lying to themselves.

Calikev

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
End of an era…gone…nature is taking it back…

Just hope the farmers can survive…

Ducks will do fine elsewhere…

Ducks will adapt but each time we lose a critical area (especially one this critical) it has a profound impact on the resource.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not sure about your analogy as it relates to farming in the Klamath Basin. The Klamath Basin is mainly small family farms, not corporate farms. Some of the farmers do have contracts with major agricultural producers. But that is farming in 2022.

I would question who is right all around the Klamath Basin as more native vegetation has been
cleared for growing crops that don't feed birds / animals ? Back when there was water to support
Grainfields in lower Klamath , birds had a source of winter food to support them but in the last
20 years or so , other crops have been planted as prices had gone up and so has the water
supply to other parts of the Basin . Look at Agency Lake and the Conservancy how , instead of
grain crops it's just a mudhole of overgrown tule's ? The supply from the Wood River is barely
enough to feed the Big Lake . The whole Area has been MISS-Managed like Tule and Lower
Klamath !

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's a crying shame a historical waterfowl resting/ breeding place has been ruined by MAN !
All the years these places have supported the return flights of migrating birds a true wonderland
of the Pacific Flyway that the Good lord gave us . It's gone !
I can only cherish the many times I was able to enjoy its remarkable resource and I'm ashamed
the miss-management during my lifetime has ruined it ! Hopefully Mother Nature will someday
take it back and for Gods Sake , take better care of our creatures who use it !

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
77% of normal rainfall? And no water? Climate change is like a mandatory go to excuse for mismanagement and failed policy.

We got all that rain in October and they left the dams open & let it all go.