As Tule Lake vanishes, so do lives and livelihoods

Hunter/Gather

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
There is a lot more to the loss than just at Tule Lake. The ocean salmon fisheries are severely restricted from Ft. Bragg to Coos Bay due to decline of Klamath R. salmon. No sport fishery at all here for June and July. The 4th of July weekend just came and went with flat seas and very few people fishing for other fish. No commercial troll fishery at all for the second year in a row.

I came across this article explaining pretty well where we are with Klamath salmon right now. It rained another 1/2 inch of rain this weekend. So it is right now kind of the best situation in an otherwise disastrous drought.

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
CalBaer asked where all the Mallards in my pictures?
I think only one duck in above pics is NOT a mallard.
But just so you do know we kill a few on a good year IMG_1825.JPG IMG_1469.JPG IMG_1802 (1).JPG

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
FYI... the mention of Malllards makes CalBear loose his mind... sick sick man that CalBear is.... lol
He'd never survive here. My favorite spot sees 'em drop in at 20-25 yards at eye level.
There is always a smattering of Widgeon and a few Bluewings to be had, but by far the Mallard is the dominate bird.....always!
Sometimes they drop in 200 at a time, shoulder to shoulder, and none over 30 yards away on the water
We place our blind exactly at water's edge, and I've had Mallards (plural) a foot below, and a foot out from my big toe.
A few years ago 'Mean Gene' sliced the head clean off one flying by at 15-16 feet.

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Blast you! Blast every one of you!
You got me looking through a few of my past pictures and now all I can think of is to add more as soon as might be.
You have no conscience, and here's hoping you suffer as much over the next few months as I certainly shall.
You deserve it.

Dan Mallia

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
IMG_4849.JPG

It's a crying shame what's happening up there and although the drought is somewhat of a factor, there's a lot of political BS going on as well. A lot. From all sides. Nobody is immune to it as everybody, for the most part, is looking out for themselves and their best interests. I get it but something is going to have to give.
Selfishly, of course, it's a place I enjoy frequenting. Days like this weren't the exception but when you put the work in and things came together, man, it was as good as it gets. It's one of the places I can get my Dad in and out of the field/marsh with little issue/effort as he's having a tougher time getting in and out of the field/marsh these days. Hope it all gets figured out and there's water back up there so we can all continue to make those special memories with families and friends and we don't continue with this ecological disaster. Boggles my mind that we're protecting a species or two and destroying an ecosystem to do it................

CalBaer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Man made drainage/creek by my school is running high today. Hasn’t had water in it in a few months. WTH? Wonder where that water is coming from?