Assorted Blue Bill Hunt

GoPackers

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Assorted blue bills.jpg

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That is a great assortment! A bouquet of blue bills! One drake pintail and a you would have had the lot! I shoot salt so I never see Redheads but I think they are beautiful birds.

Reactions: BD1

Honkerclan08

Washington forum
Reaction score
That’s awesome. Love red heads.

Ducksergeantorg

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nice variety of birds!

Joepalouse

Refuge Member
Reaction score
After seeing a nice assortment of redheads, scaup and buddies as I drove thru Clarkston a week ago, finally took the boat down with Flint and all my diver dekes. Had fuel tank problems all day which slowed deployment, but no matter - most all big ducks seem to be gone here. Saw a few bufflehead, and got one drake mallard that loafed by. So Flint got at least one fetch in, but was tormented by coots that we passed up all afternoon as we struggled back to the launch.
It seems like the tube inside both my fuel tanks has rotted off short, they both act dry even though half- full. No fun pouring one tank into the other without a funnel, mid-river!

full choke

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
After seeing a nice assortment of redheads, scaup and buddies as I drove thru Clarkston a week ago, finally took the boat down with Flint and all my diver dekes. Had fuel tank problems all day which slowed deployment, but no matter - most all big ducks seem to be gone here. Saw a few bufflehead, and got one drake mallard that loafed by. So Flint got at least one fetch in, but was tormented by coots that we passed up all afternoon as we struggled back to the launch.
It seems like the tube inside both my fuel tanks has rotted off short, they both act dry even though half- full. No fun pouring one tank into the other without a funnel, mid-river!

Has the fuel been in there awhile? Is it non-ethanol gas? I hade some issues with my boat years ago due to non-ethanol fuel. It sort of gummed up and created a algea looking film in the lines and I would repeatedly sputter out and die while running. Had to replace all the lines.

Just a thought, and something to look at.

Joepalouse

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I run a mid-90s Evinrude DuraJet, a 35 horse 2-stroke. So, this was 50-to-1 mix with non-ethanol premium gas. It was fresh in October, so it's been awhile. Ran ok when it got to motor, but I had to tip tank up on end to get it to suck into the fuel line. Will pull the connectors tomorrow and put new pickup line & filter in each tank.
Any day on the water is better than none!

Joepalouse

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Found my problem: these old metal OMC tanks were built to last, with metal fuel pickup lines instead of newer plastic ones. Good, yeah? Until the brass line cracks, probably from water freezing in it. In this case, several cracks over almost the full length. After cleaning it good, I blew thru the filter screen and air leaked from top to bottom. Definitely the reason it was not sucking fuel unless tank was full, or tipped up on end.
The unit seems permanently assembled, so I can't just swap the line out. Likewise it's expensive to replace. I could cut it and replace with a plastic line like in a Weed Wacker, but those fail pretty quick. It would likely be best to solder it, but I don't trust my skill on that. So I'll try cleaning and degreasing, then goober up the outside of the line with Permatex Cold Steel epoxy. Supposedly oil and gas resistant, and sticks to brass, so we shall see.
Any objections before I try that?

Attachments

• PXL_20220118_235512669.jpg
    PXL_20220118_235512669.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29