Attracting ducks to private land

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by dalton barrett, Dec 6, 2019.

1. dalton barrett

dalton barrett New Member

Hello all, beginner duck hunter here in middle Tennessee. I believe I’m addicted now haha. Have hunted every other thing that walks, crawls, or flies pretty much. The place I went hunting you have to win a drawing to get a spot on the lake, and you have to remove your blind at the end of the year. This is only 13 miles from my house. I have several properties around my house and I was wondering if there was any way to attract ducks to them. My dad owns 1800 acres about a mile up the road that we deer hunt on. It has several creeks running through it but not much standing water. Also I forgot to mention I live on the Cumberland plateau. So a little higher elevation. I also lease 200 acres that does have 2 sizeable ponds on it, again on the mountain. And let we have 50 acres that is in the valley with cows on it that has a small pond on it.i have seen geese about 100 yards from this pond Is it possible to draw ducks to any of these locations, and if so what could I do to increase my chances? Thanks for any help you guys can give

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Is this bragging or a real question?

3. dalton barrett

Lol not bragging, real question. I’d be happy to let a few guys duck hunt with me, as me, my uncle and maybe 2 or 3 more guys would be all that would be hunting it. I’ve never noticed any ducks on it before, but I haven’t ever really looked either.

4. dalton barrett

Sorry if it’s a dumb question, like I said I’m pretty much completely new to duck hunting. If anyone would like to look at the properties I can send pictures from onX maps.

5. dalton barrett

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Dalton,
    You might post on the TN Forum. Several active members are from your area. Thing is, even the best habitat in your area holds a relatively low number of birds compared to farther west. Just my opinion, if you want to shoot ducks you'd be better off spending your money and time hunting three or more hours to your west. Second best would be to get some low ground that floods easily off Old Hickory. Figure out what food source that ground will produce and plant it.

7. dalton barrett

I definitely agree about further west. That was my exact thoughts. We had really good luck the time I went last week and killed 16 ducks, but everyone there said it was very unusual, usually only 3 or 4. Thanks for the input, I will post a thread on the Tennessee forum as well

bill cooksey likes this.