Decoy Forum Sponsors

Avianx oversize mallard floaters

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by mpkowal, Jul 26, 2018.

1. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Wait so now ducks can count?!? Shoot I better rethink how I duck hunt. Ducks don't care about number of ducks using a spot. How many times have you seen a duck land in a spot with 1, 10 or even 0 ducks in it? All the freaking time is the answer.

One of the lakes I hunt is right by a major road and about 5 years ago I had a buddy drive by and he could see my spread from the road that was about a half mile away. Just a few hundreds yards away was another hunter. I only had a dozen goose floaters and handful of magnum duck floaters the guy next to me had a boat load of duck decoys. Why did my buddy see my decoys and not the other? Because in open water magnum decoys sit higher on the water and are more visible. You can spread your 150 decoys anywhere you want but if they can't be seen past the waves and back drop they aren't helping at all.

This is for open water and If I'm on a pond of course I'm using the standard decoys and probably teal decoys. This is because I can spread them out and make more dots on the water surface. But in this situation I'm only using 12-24 decoys not big numbers.

Billy Bob likes this.
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

How high was your buddy flying?

3. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I’m a decoy ***** but location then hide then shooting skills kill ducks. Decs just get ‘em into range.

Tuleman and EWUEagles like this.
  4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I know you're trying to imply that he can't see what the birds see being on a road but this section actually sits 100-150 ft above the lake. It's not a exactly what birds view is but it is a good representation.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

[​IMG]

stevena198301 and Vammy like this.
  6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Naw, I was having some fun with a stupid argument. If I was stuck depending on decoys for attraction, I'd want numbers and would just as soon the next guy saw it differently. But I'm not, and give a hoot what the next guy uses.

EWUEagles likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Not true because if the individual decoys in the spread aren't large enough to see the spread can't be seen and the numbers don't matter a bit. I am far more experienced with big water than timber and heavy vegetation but the same applies in heavy vegetation, if the decoys aren't big and bright enough to stand out numbers mean nothing and you may as well not waste your time.

BTW, I don't know if I have said this but I prefer dark decoys on open water and bright decoys in confined spaces or vegetation for that extra pop of visibility. Just don't want someone thinking I am contradicting myself.

Are there times that numbers matter? For sure. I can think of many instances like hunting sheet water in pastures for wigeon that have been hitting the same field for a few days. Go into a situation like that with a dozen or a 1 full bag no matter the size and forget about it. 100-200 decoys and you're in business. Totally different situation though. You're not trying to pull birds from a distance you are just trying to appear like the days before. Are there times when added visibility isn't helpful? Possibly in a tight slough with birds not being able to see the decoys before they get over the trees.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Of course not, but I'm pretty sure they can see the difference between one decoy and three dozen decoys....regardless of the size of those decoys.

9. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Can the same thought for snows be applied to ducks? Obviously a different bird but we all know numbers is a factor in that game. Jump over to big dark geese and numbers is just about equally as important.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Geese are large highly visible birds right? Large numbers of magnum duck decoys on ducks works the same way. We keep talking about 1/2 the number of big decoys vs. standards but we all know that if we used the same number of both standard and magnum decoys the magnums would be in a league above.