Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

bad back

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Dean Nelson, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Mrs. Ripline

Mrs. Ripline Senior Refuge Member

I have bulging discs and once or twice a year something flares in there and it just drops you to the floor like a sack of potatoes. then I have syatica, sitting in a hard back chair relatively straight works for me along with heating pad 10 on and 10 off for the first day. I think I would seek a doctor first since this is your first event, then possibly a chiro.

2. Mrs. Ripline

I have bulging discs and once or twice a year something flares up in there and just drops you like a wet sacks of potatoes. I also have syatica and sitting in a hard back chair relatively straight is helpful when I have these episodes. I've found that heat for 10 minutes on and 10 off helps. I would seek a doctor first since this is your first issue and then maybe a chiropractor. Good luck, I feel your pain.

3. Mrs. Ripline

Sorry don't know why that posted twice

4. broken paddle

broken paddle Senior Refuge Member

Formerly Riverton, CT. Now resident of North Ameri
    Find an Osteopath, they are hard to find. Mine retired when he was 82! Since then I have to rely on a Chiropractor. Luckily I have not needed one for several years.

5. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

You over 40 ?

I know many people that get "bad" back attacks. It often takes several days, a week or two to completely heal. Some argue stress is as much of a factor...

Ice and motrin.

If you think it is something more serious ... go to a doctor ...

6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

37 my back has been a little off since I injured it 3 years ago trying to flip over a boat with water in it. That pain though is far more sciatic based where as this seems more evenly spread. I knew I had done something wrong almost instantly but the pain grew over a few hours instead of a sudden sever pain like some have listed. Planning on a doctor in the morning since the pain has not abated in the slightest at this point and its been over 36 hours. Im not sure there's anything they can do but some kickass painkillers sure wouldn't suck at this point!:z

Thanks for the replys guys and if you have ever wondered a one pond bag of freezer burned mozzarella cheese works great for icing down the back!:grvn

7. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Have had surgery on two ruptured discs. One exercise I do when mine starts acting up is lie flat on your back on the floor. Raise your knees up, keeping your feet flat on the floor. Then keeping your legs together, rotate your legs to one side all the way to the floor, then do the same to the other side. Keep your shoulders flat on the floor, just rotating at your hips. Also for me as a temporary expedient is Lorcet and single malt. Good luck.

8. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

If inflamed soft tissue (muscle) do NOT use heat as it'll make it worse! Instead use ice packs on the inflamed area.

9. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I hurt my back while in the boundary waters. After sitting for hours, I lifted a full cooler while I had a 75 pound pack on my back. Spent three weeks on the couch in pain. And most of the summer I walked with a walking stick my buddies made for me.

Long story short. My back doctor said the reason I hurt my back was that in preparation for this trip I did a lot of walking and running (3 to 4 miles a day) without proper stretching. My leg muscles were so tight that they were pulling my back muscles out of alignment thus creating the lower back spasms. Ibuprofen helped the pain but what cured the pain was stretching my legs, sit ups and plenty of exercise. 12 years later, as soon as my back hurts I will stretch my legs and it feels better. For what it's worth, I have never seen a chiropractor.

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Another vote here for Aleve, which is the over-the-counter version of Naproxen Sodium, an anti-inflammatory.