Baiting (Deer) reg.'s

Discussion in 'Indiana Flyway Forum' started by OneShotBandit, Oct 21, 2020.

1. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I can't find what I'm looking for, but isn't there something about a hunter doesn't need to know that he/she is hunting a baited are? The topic came out that one would fight the CO/court for giving him a ticket because the neighbor had a salt block within 1/4 mile +/- of his FIL's field (tree stand). IMO I didn't think that sounded right, though I'm not a deer hunter. And yes this subject has probably been discussed adnausium. Thx. And for all you's going out this weekend: Have fun & be careful.

2. K Kalls

K Kalls Senior Refuge Member

A judge would have to be a complete moron not thought that out . How you going to know what your neighbor is doing on his own property?

3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

At some point the judge reads the charges. Goes like this:
    'Aunt Betty did knowingly and willingly committ the act of... '
    It pays to state that you did not knowingly or willingly commit ...
    Ive admitted to doing the crime and asked the court to acknowledge that I had not premeditated the crime in question. In other words give me a break. It works sometimes. Depends on what county and state and what you did.
    I wandered onto state ground that was closed.
    Clearly marked with a barricade.
    The barricade was a saw horse upside down in the ditch. We hunted. Told buddy that if that old saw horse is still there its mine
    It had a 8 x 10 piece of paper.
    In 14 pt font it said closed for deer hunting.
    We got screwed.

We were held by a pair of wildlife biologists or whatever until the real badge arrived. My buddy pled guilty and got raked over the coals. I pled not guilty and got the charges dropped. Tony is still upset about it 35 yrs later.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm hip. I just thought there was a "law" or something to that nature? Baiting laws are IMO Archaic? Thx!