Ballard WMA

Discussion in 'Kentucky Flyway Forum' started by bwelty, Jul 15, 2020.

1. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

2. bwelty

bwelty Elite Refuge Member

Peabody has not come up in our discussions but I will make reference to it in our discussions next time. Thanks

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Kentucky is like many states. Much of it falls outside of major migration pathways. While all of us would like an enhanced waterfowl area in our backyard it makes the most sense to spend the money where it is most lily to result in long-term improvement for both waterfowl and hunters. Ballard and western KY make sense. The farther you venture east from the Henderson area the less sense it would seem to make but that's only one old amateur's opinion.

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I don't know if it still holds true but back when the geese still came to Ballard, The counties around Madisonville and Henderson were the biggest duck killing counties....

smashdn likes this.
  5. bwelty

Fowler 267, I don't know if that holds true or not right now, more working to shoot ducks at Ballard now, it is one of the top counties in the nation according to the USFW. According to the fws.gov Ballard is the top duck county and is 81/3115 counties in nation, Henderson is next and 231/3115, Hopkins is third and 292/3115, and Lyon is 4th and 308/3115.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Fowler267 likes this.
  6. smashdn

Tradewater and Pond River corridors. Many ducks, mostly private ground except Peabody. Lots of potential but you need something there other than just water to attract and hold them. Not much food as compared to sloughs and ballard because there isn't a much "farmable" ground.

I get the conceptof spending money where the ducks already are but if you keep only giving crumbs to the rest of the state those areas won't get any better.

Take a trip to Barren River Lake WMA and see what has been put on the ground in the last 10-12 years. Lots of work comparatively but lots of opportunity too. But not as much as what is on the Peabody tracts.

7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

A man can buy ten lbs of barnyard grass from River Refuge seed company out in Oregon for about $25...

Carry in a pound or so to each honey hole in the spring and you can have your own personal impact.

8. bwelty

I will definitely find out when we meet about Peabody, have not forgotten about Calvert Springs either. they should have some corn planted in that area.

9. smashdn

Calvert Springs is quite the complex but pressure is getting high on it.

Ask about Peter Creek unit. Also an area with potential but lake floods the bottoms out in spring and summer a bunch.

But in the rare year the lake gets up during winter...