Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Bama Sandhills season?!?

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by stevena198301, Jul 12, 2019.

1. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

Would be nice if they would do draw hunts. At least give so lucky guys a chance to hunt there.

stevena198301 and Stealyourface like this.
  2. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Senior Refuge Member

It would keep birds moving.

3. Athos

Athos Senior Refuge Member

Which one? Inland? Just curious, I’m from Pinson.

cholt likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’d be pumped for them to open a weekend or two a season, even if only for kids or something. Any more than that, I’d worry would push the ducks out.

5. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

thats right I live in Oneonta but grew up in Tarrant

Athos likes this.
  6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Back in the 50’s & 60’s when Wheeler NWR wintered almost the entire James Bay population of Canada geese the hunting there was awesome. It was typical for ~100K canada’s and ~150K ducks to overwinter there.

Then, refuge management took a decidedly anti hunter (waterfowler) turn and became a bird watcher venue. The migratory goose population there has dwindled to ~3K birds and ducks followed suit as habitat management apparently became a nonissue.

During the late 60’s and early 70’s we hunted the stumpbeds on the Beulah Bay mudflats and stump rows out from it but I understand many of those stump areas no longer exist or are greatly diminished.

I understand the “shooting gallery” (Harris-Sweetwater Dewatering Area) is still the same.

7. stevena198301

The stumps are mostly gone, and is more mudflat than anything now. Dewatering unit is a circus. We still hunt some stuff skirting the dewatering area some. None last year, but that was an exception. Wheeler holds ducks, still. I'd love a morning under the I-65 bridge in that flooded timber. Sometimes you can look down there and see thousands of greenheads in that thicket.

8. Stealyourface

All the big stumps are gone. My dad and his crew used to hug stumps in Beulah and mud creek well up into the 80’s. I was too young. Some of those spots you used to be able to really smack em when you had a good north wind. But the ducks don’t use those spots anymore. No stumps, and the milfoil is gone.

I’ve seen that some milfoil is starting to come back. And it might, if those plants on the river quit dumping their chemicals.

The dewatering unit has gotten worse, imo. I think they are trying to manage it better. But it’s just the sheer number of yahoos trying to “hunt” that thing that’s crazy. Folks constantly riding around in their boats instead of hunting. You’d better be a good pass shooter, because you aren’t going to finish a working duck without some jerk messing it up. I know that is just public land hunting, but I don’t think that it was that bad before duck hunting got “cool.”

We sold all of our blinds a few years ago. I freelanced for a bit before getting in on our current lease. I don’t miss it.

9. Stealyourface

And another thing, green tree ain’t green anymore!

10. stevena198301

They have been doing some work up on that end. I've not been over there, but I heard rumor it was for WMA improvement. Maybe they are making it into planted crop and blinds? That place used to be a gadwall haven, years ago after the timber all died off.

Your lease in AL you have now?

Seems the way I have heard it, the grass was intentionally killed off years back.