Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Bama Sandhills season?!?

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by stevena198301, Jul 12, 2019.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'll take you up on that offer, if I'm drawn. :tu

2. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Refuge Member

I don’t know why the grass is gone. I’ve heard multiple things, including that it was intentionally killed.
    They’ve been planting in green tree for a couple of years. I walked back there a couple of years ago after they dropped the water level and cleaned up some of the logs. But the field on the east side was bone dry. I don’t know if it ever got water either. This was right before the season. My first hunt 20-something years ago was in that field. It was pouring rain and I was in a hand-be-down field jacket and leaky waders. I was soaked. But we smacked a 4-man limit of mallards and gads and I ain’t been right since.

I’m to our lease, no it’s in Arkansas.

3. Athos

Athos New Member

I’ve been wanting to do some hunting up there since I got started a few years ago, but all the talk of what a madhouse it is has kept me from giving it a shot. Im not sure the combination of drive and headache is worth the shot at a few big ducks. Guess we’ll keep hunting these same 10 Georgia ducks.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I hunted the (former) Greentree unit a couple years after they built it using the concrete pad in the middle of the levee with I-beams and RR crossties fitted in them to control the water level. Sounds like they flooded it each year until the timber was killed off which is no bueno as they need at least 1/3 years in the dry. Our ~900 acre Greentree area on Eufaula WMA out here will be held dry this season as it was flooded from February until recently by mother nature. Didn't they build a Greentree or moist-soil type area in the upper end of Mud Creek (above woman leg slough) ~25 years ago? Wonder if it's still functional these days. Sounds like Wannville has gone to the birdwatchers.

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

It's gotten so bad out here the past few seasons that our bunch is heading up into Nebraska the end of October for the waterfowl opener and the upland birds opener two days later. Will be the first time I've waterfowl hunter there in 23 seasons but am going up early to recon the places I hunted and the new WMA's/WDU's they've opened since then.

Stealyourface likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That GTR at Mud is still there-ish.

cholt likes this.
  7. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Refuge Member

Grew tree stayed flooded year round, if I’m not mistaken. That’s exactly what killed the trees. Likewise, they killed the willows in the dewatering unit by doing the same.

JP, cholt and stevena198301 like this.