California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Bands... what kind of birds you got?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Mar 17, 2021.

1. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Addendum to post #58: My Tule Goose was banded in July 1995 by a team that included Joe Hobbs, the Yolo Bypass WMA manager, working in Alaska at the Koyukuk/Nowitna NWR.

2. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

23 Mallards, plus pintails, GW. teal, honkers ,snows, ross's
    A few of the remembered ones, a 12 year old Ross, being retrieved by my 12 year old chessie, his last hunt... solo, he did 13 birds for me.
    The last greenhead I shot to finish my all green limit with Tony R and I had 2 bands, one was 100.00$, the bands were 14 years old.
    We spun a pair of ross geese down, I shot my side, buddy missed his, so I took it, both banded, 4 numbers apart, band data said 7-1/2 years old, buddy shot a 13 year old ross the same hunt.

3. Mallardchasin'fool

Mallardchasin'fool Elite Refuge Member

25C04E0B-A46E-40C9-B3E6-C464288B51D6.jpeg
    Pulled mine out to look at because of this thread. Cool memories looking back through them.

Geese
    Snows (3 from Wrangel Island 1 tarsal)
    Ross geese (3 collars 1 tarsal)
    3 specks (2 were banded the same day by the same person but I shot them 3 years apart both at Mendota within a few hundred yards of each other)
    70035EA0-6FD3-4A8D-B203-97053E0C43B7.jpeg
    No honkers - have shot very few here in California. Did shoot one (double banded reward band too) with a friend but lost out on it.

Ducks
    Mallards (1 $100 reward band)
    Pintail
    Gadwall
    Wigeon (1)
    Cinnamon teal (2). My first band was a cinnamon teal in the early ‘80’s. **** at Mendota but can’t find that certificate...I was still living at home then so not sure where it went and don’t have the blind because I told the guy at the Check station I did not want it back after he recorded the information. Young and did not know much back then.

hunt'ngreen, Flyfisher and Dan Mallia like this.
  4. Mallardchasin'fool

Very similar circumstances for my first band I shot in the ‘80’s. Kinda wish I had that one because I can’t find the certificate.

Calikev likes this.
  5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

My man. Send in number get cirtificate again. One time I emailed and they resent. They resent my dads bird cirtificate from 40 years ago... I emailed and they emailed within minutes

6. dwc1145

dwc1145 New Member

Banded birds ... green wing teal (double banded with radio backpack ),canvasback, mallards hens/drakes (money bands), pintail, gadwalls, widgeon, spoony, wood ducks, specklebelly, honkers, lesser canadian , ross goose, snow goose (russian band) , pheasant , sea gull (i caught fishing) , mourning doves , pigeons
    I have been very lucky to be in the right place hunting . I have collected 100+ bands in 60+ years of waterfowling . With continued good health maybe a couple more bands will be added.

7. Mallardchasin'fool

Great idea. Only one problem. I don’t have the numbers. No band. No certificate. No numbers. I wonder if they could do it from just my name. I think I will send an email and ask. Thanks for the suggestion.

Flyfisher likes this.
  8. Mallardchasin'fool

Dwc1145... strong first post. Welcome. That is quite the collection. I hope you are able to add a few more.

9. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Good post. Ya sure waited a while to share that gem.

JRS likes this.
  10. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

X2 ∆∆∆