California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Bands... what kind of birds you got?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Duck Seeker

Duck Seeker Senior Refuge Member

Hand full of mallards, 1 pintail.

Most memorable band story was from this year. It was a slow day on an afternoon refill at an NVR. With 5 minutes left until LST, my buddy couldn’t hold onto his coffee anymore, and left the hide to get some relief. As he walked away from the tulles he joked that I should keep my eyes open for a green head. He was right. Banded mallard came in for an easy layup shot.

Dan Mallia likes this.
  2. laughing mallard

laughing mallard Elite Refuge Member

Does this count as a band? Lol. Shot this in Washington, luckily she was dead when she hit the water and the dog didn’t get hooked.

Attached Files:

3. pintails

pintails Senior Refuge Member

Only a handful for me. Hen Spoonie, drake woodie, drake redhead and a bull sprig. Didn’t flip, but lost out on a gw teal before. Bull sprig was this year and it was the first time my 8yo daughter joined me in the blind. I’ll remember that one forever.

Attached Files:

4. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

Sprig
    Mallard
    White geese - mostly seems like when we get into a good ross flight we see high % of banded ross's in my area.
    woody
    honker
    tule goose (only seen 1)

Dan Mallia likes this.
  5. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

That’s scary for a dog. Yikes

6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Swerving....................was the old one eye banded ???

going in the other lane...lol

Was old one eye spec banded?

7. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Yep good enough for me...she had a short stroke paddle mode for sure... Glad you put a end to her suffering....

Question..did you see it hanging down when you shot it...?

8. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

mallards 9 drakes 7 hens
    gadwall 2 drakes 1 hen
    sprig 1 drake
    green wing 1 drake ... this was my first band killed at Gray Lodge in 1964
    tule goose 1
    ross 1
    mourning dove 3

Dan Mallia likes this.
  9. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

Enjoy reading the stories. My mind is toast. Don’t remember all of them. A few stand out. I love to find out where they’re from.

Hunting with my Cousin in a band rich environment. He was saying the only banded bird he has was from hunting with my Dad. He knew he didn’t hit the bird but my Dad said he did and here ya go your first band. No sooner was the story finished when a pair drop in. He missed but I helped him out and said I think you got that one. He says no I missed. As I flipped it over I see the band. Nope you got it, nice shot. Within minutes another pair comes in. I don’t shoot I said watch this one will be banded too. Yep it was. I’m thinking you know I did get the first one. Haha! Nope all good he has them both.

My brother and I are at LDC back in the olden times. He’s getting low on shells and makes a run. I needed two more birds to finish up. On his return I tell him I’m done. Had two pairs come in and pulled one out of each pair a couple of minutes apart. Both banded.

Another at LDC that Pete put in his book. Tyler was probably 5 or 6 with his Red Ryder. He would pull up on birds and fire to work on gun safety etc. Had a GH do it perfect jump up and dump him and I hear a scream I GOT HIM! He hurries over to it and flipped him over and says it’s BANDED! He was so focused on the bird he never heard me shoot. Called in the band with his name on it.

Me and Ray shooting GH minutes apart banded. George shooting out of turn robbing me.

Hunting with my Dad at Sac. I’m using his old double. Get a GH crazy close I miss and it flares straight up put it right on him and pull the trigger, nope, nothing. My Dad dumps him. Band. Pretty sure he messed with the gun on purpose. Haha

Mallard
    Sprig
    Gads
    Widgeon
    Dove
    Pheasants ( they don’t count )

Got a bunch. Less than Dan now. Holy smokes man!

10. Spoonie16

Spoonie16 Senior Refuge Member

Mallards (4), pintails (2), cinnamon teal (3), gadwall (1). 2 of the mallards were banded in the same week & location while too young to fly. Both died in the same pond at the Grizz but two years apart. And 1 pin killed in 2018 banded as an ADULT in 2005...

Mallardchasin'fool likes this.