California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Bands... what kind of birds you got?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Thats funny cuz in NV on a certain "rock" where the pelicans congregate biologists find alot of striper tags from the delta....

JRS and candafish like this.
  2. George

George Elite Refuge Member

When I lived in El Salvador we used to shoot doves by the burlap sack full. We got dozens of bands every year which we would hammer straight and mail them back to the US. We just thought it was for science and didn’t even think to keep them as “trophies “...

3. laughing mallard

laughing mallard Elite Refuge Member

I didn’t. Buddy shot a banded hen mallard on the same hunt.

4. 55johnnie

55johnnie Refuge Member

3 mallards, 2 pintails, 2 Canada geese, 1 gadwall. Short list.

5. NJ219bands

NJ219bands Senior Refuge Member

247 of the > 7,300 waterfowl that I shot in NJ the past 55 years were banded. 115 of 625 Canada geese were banded in NJ, NY, MD, NH, ON, and PEI. 9 of the geese wore neck collars. There is no record of one of the bands ever being put on a goose. It was part of a string of 100 that was destroyed. 25 of 1,474 greater snow geese were banded in Canada: District of Franklin, Northwest Territory, Nunavut and Quebec. One of the geese wore a neck collar, one was $100 reward, and another one was double banded with a color coded leg band. 8 of 354 Atlantic Brant were banded in NY and Canada in the Northwest Territory and Nunavut. 4 were double banded. 22 of 490 mallards were banded in NJ, NY, ME, NB and Quebec. 65 of 2,705 black ducks were banded in NJ, NC, MD, NY, ME, VT, NF, NS, NB, and Quebec. Got $60 reward for three bands. One of the ducks wore a transmitter from ME. Another one had a nasal saddle. 2 mallard x black hybrids were banded in NJ and NS in Canada. Two of 460 hooded mergansers were banded in NY and NH. 2 gadwalls were banded in NJ. A wood duck was banded in VT and a redhead was banded in SK, Canada. A ringneck was banded in NB, Canada. Found a banded great blackback gull from Cuttyhunk, MA, a barn owl from NJ and a very old red tail hawk from NJ. Only got one band last season. 385912C0-E863-4290-AFC5-3DF791BEE5CB.jpeg

API likes this.
  6. George

George Elite Refuge Member

Tell us about the triple barrel...

7pntail likes this.
  7. DkKiller&Max

DkKiller&Max Elite Refuge Member

Coolest band was a greenhead shot at Sac Refuge. Had a colored plastic band on the leg red or green I forget. Also on the wing was a large green tag. The tag was like the security tags that are stapled to clothes you buy in the store. :scratch This mallard came through across the tops of the tullies one foggy morning with wings beating twice as fast. Picked up the bird and thought what in the heck is this. Scrawny bird with its wings partially clipped. I called the number on the funky plastic band. Bird originated from Minnesota. Turns out there was a bird study of some sort going on within a mile of the refuge. Someone didn't quite clip this birds wings all the way and he took off...

Buddy found a dead spoonie from botulism up in the NE zone that was banded.

I'm on the wait list for anything collard plus I want a banded spec.

Ross geese a bunch
    Honker - 1
    Gadwall - 3
    Widgeon -1
    Greenwing - 1
    Cin Teal - 1
    Wood duck - 3
    Sprig - 5
    Mallard - 10

Never killed a banded dove or pigeon
    I'm 1 for 1 on flips

8. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

That is what I did with the first few bands I killed back in the 80's. My Dad told me that is what I needed to do so they had the number and they would return the band. I never got those bands back but got a certificate. It wasn't until someone told me just mail them the number did I realize I needed to keep the band.

He once killed one on a snow goose and couldn't make out all the information. He talked to the USFWS and they asked if there was any information on the band he had not provided. He told them it said "Moska" on it or something to that effect. They said that helped a lot because then the looked it up in the Russian records. They found it. It was a really old Snow Goose banded in Russia.

9. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

Band story.. had to be 93/94. The only time I hunted the Glide Ranch. It was middle of January ( I think the last day of the season) pair of mallards comes in. I shoot the drake, the guy who invited me shoots the hen. Hen sails about 300 yards away . Dog brings my bird back, banded and a really worn band. This was prior to internet /1800-band etc. so you had to wait to get results. On the way out we find the hen, banded, and another old band but numbers were not close. I get my results back.. 12 years old.. banded.. at glide ranch almost to the day I shot him.. pretty cool.. the hen , 10 years old banded at glide ranch , almost to the same day.. total home guards .. the fog did them in that day. Probably knew every blind on that property on a clear day lol

10. NJ219bands

NJ219bands Senior Refuge Member

Charles Daly Chiappa 12 gauge 3.5” magnum 8.6 lbs $1,800. I’m hoping that it won’t get confiscated by the Communist Democrats when they take all of the semiautomatics away.