banning lead for doves

r.r.

Reaction score
the Chronicle are all a bunch of anti hunting liberals ,most all sportsmen around H town are wise to there anti BS . we have more dove in my area south of H town ( i manage a very large dove hunting operation round Rosenberg ,Beasly Texas ,I know ) then we have had in 50 years ,nuf said

ALLSTAR 1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
the Chronicle are all a bunch of anti hunting liberals ,most all sportsmen around H town are wise to there anti BS . we have more dove in my area south of H town ( i manage a very large dove hunting operation round Rosenberg ,Beasly Texas ,I know ) then we have had in 50 years ,nuf said

But what if by simply using steel you could increase that number even more by 25 or even 50%? Could you not easily recoup any small amount of extra $$ for shells by having more doves ie more doves = more hunters? Is it not worth studying?

sacbob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I agree steel works for doves. I wish they would go ahead and ban lead. We all know it's going to happen. Once it does we can quit arguing about it.

redjones

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Here in Indiana you must use steel shot on all state Fish and wildlife areas for doves.
Its been that way for several years,most areas have a 50ty shell limit also,I am not sure if the shell limit helps much,everyone seems to shoot just as much as before the limit.
I read somewhere a few years back that if there were 500,000,000 doves in North America 400,000,000 would die every year regardless of the means.
And steel 6-7's kill doves just fine if you do your part.

Greg

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Steel for all state wildlife lands in Washington as well. Steel 6's work well on doves. I really don't get all the complaining about steel shot for doves and upland game. The tin foil hat club sure hates steel shot. I'm all for the lead ban.

Brdhntr47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Steel for all state wildlife lands in Washington as well. Steel 6's work well on doves. I really don't get all the complaining about steel shot for doves and upland game. The tin foil hat club sure hates steel shot. I'm all for the lead ban.

Don't hunt with vintage guns do you!

Dennis

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Most of the time I don't. There are other options like light hand loads of bismuth and steel 7's haven't hurt my old fixed choke O/U with mod and full barrels.

howard s.

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I STAND WITH R.R.

redjone.....We started with 8 pairs of doves nesting in the trees in my yard this spring and now we are down to 3 doves just being around the house because of a hawk getting them.:mad::mad::mad:

Squaller

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I agree steel works for doves. I wish they would go ahead and ban lead. We all know it's going to happen. Once it does we can quit arguing about it.

A bicycle works for getting from place to place... A car works better the majority of the time.

I would hazard that the incidental pellets eaten by doves and other birds is insignificant... And I would have to wonder about the thriving quail populations that are present at a couple of sporting clay ranges...:scratch...

I am fairly convinced that the lead ban (other than ducks in some areas) is more of an anti-hunting agenda which has been marketed well enough to create a public outcry.