Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Bar Headed Geese

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

I'll take that big jon they loaded their rigs in......we could attack some ducks with that sucker. :yes

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

A friend of mine had a pair in his aviary. They were interesting. The Barnacle geese and the Emperors he had were my favorites.

The are at least 150 varieties of ducks and geese throughout the world. Reading about all of them is a great way to kill some time. :tu

3. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

I am a terrible naturalist and oh so selfish and greedy, blah blah blah...... but I would gladly trade whatever natural species were "displaced" to have a few flocks of exotic birds flying around. Gimme some bar headed geese, red breasted geese, barnacle geese, ruddy shellducks, chilean wigeon, mandarin ducks, smew, etc without having to take an international flight and deal with another country's laws/culture and I would be happy. We could even try to expand the emporer goose on the coasts or great lakes. The nene goose would probably do fine on the gulf coast. Mandarin ducks seem to be fitting in fine on the west coast. Egyptian geese fit in fine in some areas down south. Mute swans used to be doing fine in the mid-atlantic, though the game departments have all but wiped them out. I would have rather preferred a controlled hunting season for the mutes instead of the extermination that we got. Kind of like the resident goose flocks, that are managed to reduce the population instead of maintain the resource. I'm all for increased opportunity. It seems like many biologists are all for what they choose to deem "acceptably natural" even if it means the loss of opportunity.

$100 a piece for bar heads- anyone willing to donate to a new waterfowl organization? STWWSRHIA, Save The World's Waterfowl Species Right Here In America, our charter- "To promote the safe existence of all the world's waterfowl species right here in North America where we are able to manage wild populations without having to deal with the native peoples or governments that may endanger their existence in their native lands."

4. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

I see the original poster been listening to the meat eater pod cast.

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

I have never listened to a meateater podcast. In fact, the only podcasts I have ever listened to were the Jeff Foiles podcast that featured a member here that I respect.

I have watched some of the meateaters episodes on tv in the past. It’s been a minute since I watched any though.

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I believe Ramsey Russell (used to post here) was recently featured on Meat Eater.

7. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

That is why I brought it up... He talked bar headed geese on the podcast that came out yesterday.

8. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Total coincidence. I subscribe to the channel in Pakistan that uploaded the video I posted.

9. 7summits

7summits Senior Refuge Member

About 20yrs ago a friend of mine shot one here in Utah. I am sure it was an escapee from somewhere (although no breeder band), but it was really cool. He had it mounted.

10. 7summits

7summits Senior Refuge Member

Ever notice how well people in Pakistan shoot? Every video that I have watched, they slay them.