Bark collars?

Close Shot

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will just say it and derail this further. Every dog I have owned (five now) thought they would be barkers at first. Let me emphasize AT FIRST. After a few "whippings", snout grabs and "verbal cues" from me that it was not acceptable, they stopped and realized they would not be barkers. Life was better for them when they did not bark. Same thing with diggers. Two things I hate is dogs that bark and dig, but they are easy fixes without technology. You just need a backbone.

If you can't tell, I am kind of a hard @$$ when it comes to dogs, they are the low end of the total pole in family hierarchy and once they know that, they keep in place. Now I do love my dogs and treat them quite well, but they are dogs and need to be educated that they are not in charge.

carolina girl

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will just say it and derail this further. Every dog I have owned (five now) thought they would be barkers at first. Let me emphasize AT FIRST. After a few "whippings", snout grabs and "verbal cues" from me that it was not acceptable, they stopped and realized they would not be barkers. Life was better for them when they did not bark. Same thing with diggers. Two things I hate is dogs that bark and dig, but they are easy fixes without technology. You just need a backbone.

If you can't tell, I am kind of a hard @$$ when it comes to dogs, they are the low end of the total pole in family hierarchy and once they know that, they keep in place. Now I do love my dogs and treat them quite well, but they are dogs and need to be educated that they are not in charge.
I live in a close suburb and I think that wouldn’t fit well, but your right. That’s the way they need to be trained

tcc

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Wanna come sit in my yard all day? I'll provide the beer..

Close Shot

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wanna come sit in my yard all day? I'll provide the beer..
The thing is, I am a softy compared to some. I used James Lamb Free's book Training Your Retriever several times and I look like a pushover compared to how he teaches. I never went full JLF but used his basic principals.

It has been a while since I looked at it but his theory if I remember correctly is your dog should always be in a command, no free time. If you want a dog for a pet for the kids, get a pound dog but your retriever is basically a employee/slave and not to play with etc. I do not agree with that but an interesting theory and I guarantee you his dogs didn't bark.

carolina girl

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
So, I went with dogtra, kinda a little more than I wanted to spend, but is very nice. However, it appears my dog is a lot smarter than I give him credit. He knew exactly what it was the minute he saw it and has been very obedient since. In fact, My grandson and I have used it on each other more than my dog. Haven’t even put it on my dog yet. He is a “rescue” so maybe he had one on him before.

tripper

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
So, I went with dogtra, kinda a little more than I wanted to spend, but is very nice. However, it appears my dog is a lot smarter than I give him credit. He knew exactly what it was the minute he saw it and has been very obedient since. In fact, My grandson and I have used it on each other more than my dog. Haven’t even put it on my dog yet. He is a “rescue” so maybe he had one on him before.
You actually put a bark collar on your grandson?

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I am a softy compared to some. I used James Lamb Free's book Training Your Retriever several times and I look like a pushover compared to how he teaches. I never went full JLF but used his basic principals.

It has been a while since I looked at it but his theory if I remember correctly is your dog should always be in a command, no free time. If you want a dog for a pet for the kids, get a pound dog but your retriever is basically a employee/slave and not to play with etc. I do not agree with that but an interesting theory and I guarantee you his dogs didn't bark.
I always used tipler Physics to bonk my pups with. Because the science.
It's a big fat book...lol

Latest posts